Idea for 2012 Gathering

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 bpe4

bpe4

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

After coming to the gathering in 2010, I was bummed to miss the one this year. I noticed that attendance dropped slightly which could have been for one of many different factors (economy being a major factor).

The gathering itself holds a ton of value, but my idea is to add major enticement to the trip via the location. It's probably been mentioned before, but if you hold the gathering in LAS VEGAS next year, I would bet money that you'd see at least a 30-50% uptick in registrations. For one, everyone wants to come up with a viable excuse to go to Las Vegas (other then the fact it's Las Vegas). Secondly, airfare and hotel deals are extremely easy to come by to Las Vegas since it's such a popular destination. And lastly, you're in a town absolutely covered with music acts to enjoy during your stay, not unlike Nashville.

Put up a poll, and I guarantee you'll get a lot of takers.

#2 saurabh_k

saurabh_k

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

Er, how about Goa, India's own (toned-down version of) Las Vegas? :biggrin1:
I fear not the man who has practised 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practised one kick 10000 times.
-Bruce Lee

#3 J45

J45

• Members
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationVirginia USA

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:22 PM

Vegas doesn't have the tradition or atmosphere of Nashvile..
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom, Larrivee L-03R Acoustic; Fender American Standard Strat; Fender Blacktop Tele; Fender 52' Vintage Hot Rod Tele; Fender Super Sonic 22; Fender Mustang II Amp; Ultrasound AG-30 Acoustic Amp; Roland RD-700NX Digital Piano; Nikon D7000 DSLR

May You Be In Heaven A Half Hour Before The Devil Knows You're Dead...

#4 Tony Lane

Tony Lane

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFairfax Station, VA

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

I prefer Nashville and I will be happy to go again next year. Had a fantastic time!

Tony

#5 Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

That would be a gross understatement! Yes, flight and room costs would be less but I''m willing to pay a little more to be able to walk down the street with my wife without feeling dirty.

If anybody declined this year's Gathering because there wasn't enough gambling and prostitution I'd say the Gathering was better off for it!

Bad idea.
"Never give up, never surrender!" - Commander Taggert of the intergalactic spaceship NSEA Protector
Currently focusing on Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7/8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Musings, Mutterings and Meanderings (aka my blog)

Soli Deo Gloria!

#6 gahern

gahern

• Members
  • 0 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:35 AM

I did not make the gathering this year, due to death in family. I feel the atmosphere in Nashville would make it the logical place. I would be going for the opportunity to learn more about guitar playing.

#7 P M

P M

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

If anybody declined this year's Gathering because there wasn't enough gambling and prostitution.....

"Wasn't enough gambling and prostitution".... I didn't know there was any!!! Awesome, count me in again next year!

#8 percision

percision

• Members
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCabot Arkansas

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:25 PM

I lived in LV, I will NEVER go back there ever again. EVER. I'd much rather go down to Nashville where music is the main atmoshpere not gambling and prostitution like LV is.

Gibsons Learn and Master Guitar, Session : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Song hits course, Session : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Learn and Master Blues guitar, Session : 1 2 3 4 5 6

My first Live Gig

My blog

#9 CapM

CapM

• Validating
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

There is no way it could be held anywhere other than Nashville, because that's where almost all of the guest musicians are located. If we had 500 people attending instead of just 50, perhaps there would be enough money to fly guests in.

#10 bpe4

bpe4

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

You all are thinking with your hearts and not thinking about Legacy Learning's purse strings. If attendance keeps declining there will be no more gatherings.

Here's an example conversation from someone taking the course who 'might' consider going to a gathering.

Scenario1 --
ChetAtkinsJr: Honey, there's a guitar gathering this year with tons of workshops and master courses.
Wife: Where is it? And when is it?
ChetAtkinsJr: Nashville. It's on XXXX, and I'd have to take 3 days of vacation. And it'll cost $XXX.XX for the flight, hotel, and registration.
Wife: You're kidding me? you're going to take 3 days of paid vacation away from our family, and spend XXX.XX for guitar workshops?
ChetAtkinsJr: You can come with me if you like?
Wife: NO

Scenario2 --
ChetAtkinsJr: Honey, there's a guitar gathering this year with tons of workshops and master courses.
ChetAtkinsJr: Las Vegas. It's on XXXX, and I'd have to take 3 days vacation, and it'll cost $XXX.XX. And you can come along.
Wife: Okay.. I'll pack my bags.

#11 James K

James K

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

2012 will be my first year going to the gathering. Although I would love to go to Nashville (pulling on my heart strings) bpe4 makes a very good point. Hence the reality that Vegas is one of the largest convention cities in the US. I use to live in Vegas. The convention traffic that comes in is huge. And it's not all gambling... Lots of musicians go through Vegas... I would if Steve would have any pull to get some to stop by...... bpe4 is correct, the city of Vegas subsidizes flights to make them more attractive to other distinations. One can alway find a deal on a room too. Maybe one day our attendance would be big enough to rent out the House of Blues in Mandalay Bay for a private show staring us!!!!
Learn & Master Guitar Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Learn & Master The Song Hits 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Learn & Master Blues Guitar 1 2 3 4 5 6

#12 Pierre340

Pierre340

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

Why don't we orgzanize it in Europe , we have zalso som great jazz and rock palyers , if you want i can ask toots Theilenmenas orandrew Huchtkins or Jazzfusion player Jan ackermann, they are all weel famous.
If we do it in Brussels , it is central layed and flights from US are very cheap and nearly every hour you have a flight tho US
How about that?
We are now internatioanl people as members so why move not for a while to Europe for instance?
Cheers
Peter

#13 J45

J45

• Members
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationVirginia USA

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

You are kidding aren't you...
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom, Larrivee L-03R Acoustic; Fender American Standard Strat; Fender Blacktop Tele; Fender 52' Vintage Hot Rod Tele; Fender Super Sonic 22; Fender Mustang II Amp; Ultrasound AG-30 Acoustic Amp; Roland RD-700NX Digital Piano; Nikon D7000 DSLR

#14 J45

J45

• Members
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationVirginia USA

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

You all are thinking with your hearts and not thinking about Legacy Learning's purse strings. If attendance keeps declining there will be no more gatherings.

Here's an example conversation from someone taking the course who 'might' consider going to a gathering.

Scenario1 --
ChetAtkinsJr: Nashville. It's on XXXX, and I'd have to take 3 days of vacation. And it'll cost $XXX.XX for the flight, hotel, and registration.
Wife: You're kidding me? you're going to take 3 days of paid vacation away from our family, and spend XXX.XX for guitar workshops?

Scenario2 --
ChetAtkinsJr: Las Vegas. It's on XXXX, and I'd have to take 3 days vacation, and it'll cost $XXX.XX. And you can come along.

You live out west? You know I just love people who come on here as brand new & want to change things right off the bat..
Greg

#15 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

One year of falling attendance does not a trend make. If I am not mistaken the attendance this year was on par with 2 years ago. I think the drop in attendance had more to do with the fact that som many details were ironed out too late for people to plan on going. Last year we had all the information about 3 months earlier.

Legacy is also based in Nashville and most guests so far have been Nashville residents.

Personally, I like Las Vegas but I would not want the ZGathering to be held there.

#16 Cindy

Cindy

• Members
  • 5,151 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

I live within driving distance of Atlantic City, NYC, and Philadelphia, so the entertainment factor of Las Vegas doesn't interest me. Plus we have gambling here. To me, Nashville is the music mecca of the world, and Las Vegas can't compete with that.

Why don't you edit your first post in this thread and add a poll? Perhaps some people might be inclined to weigh in anonymously. :)

MikeM's File Sharing Site for LMG students
Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art--Leonardo da Vinci

Unofficial Taylor Guitar Forum

#17 sherwood12

sherwood12

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationKissimmee, Florida

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:33 PM

From my perspective the event is to spend time attending all the seminars, to improve my guitar and social skills practicing with the attendees (thanks kt6strings) ; isn't a lot of time left in a day. No longer can I work all day and party all night and still remain productive. (God knows my skills can use the attention)

The Nashville location is nice because Dino P and Greg Voros live and work close to Nashville. I expect to see them on a yearly basis.

I also suspect that since Nashville is a hub for musicians passing through Steve has formed substantial connections to bring us top notch talent. Could he replicate this in say Las Vegas or LA?

My 2 cents

Patrick :biggrin1:

#18 FloydFanatic

FloydFanatic

Bendaholics Anonymous

• Members
  • 3,092 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

I plan on attending next year if the finances are right, but I can guarantee if it's in Vegas I won't be going.

Nashville is the HQ of music for the world, it is the only spot that makes sense to have a guitar gathering... that and it's the HQ for Legacy and where Steve lives. :electricguitar:
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you'll find
Ten years have gone behind you
No one told you when to run
You've missed the starting gun

#19 FloydFanatic

FloydFanatic

Bendaholics Anonymous

• Members
  • 3,092 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

Scenario1 --

Scenario2 --

Ok, you're becoming a troll here bro. You're just making ***** up and selling it as the truth.

1 - The numbers this year dropped because we're in a RECESSION, not because it was in Nashville.
2 - I would estimate that 75% of the people that attend, or would attend, live on the East Coast or near to it (Ohio, etc). Putting in in Vegas would eliminate 95% of those people from going, as they drive.
3 - Saying there "will be no more gatherings" is just simply foolish. Where do you get this stuff??? If you're going to try to make a point, then don't sensationalize it and put in a bunch of BS that you think... put in FACTS instead of your opinion made to look like facts (poorly) and you may get support.
4 - Most married men would rather have the vacation from the wife, so why would they want to go where she wants to follow?

Oh, and if you think that Legacy makes a bunch of money from this Gathering? You're kidding yourself. Steve can confirm, but I estimate that Legacy makes no more than a couple thousand dollars from the Gathering after they pay their guests and Hotel fees. That is not a fact, it's an estimation... but if you can do math you can add up the numbers and figure it out for yourself.
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you'll find
Ten years have gone behind you
No one told you when to run
You've missed the starting gun

#20 P M

P M

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

Kind of funny that this debates getting a little heated over something that's ultimately not even up to our decision.

....now, let's get back to the subject of prostitution and gambling :pianodancer:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users