• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wfjtx

wfjtx

• Members
  • 498 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

I decided late to go to the Gathering and signed up for the "Advanced" guitar lesson with Steve since I'm in session 16.

Now, I'm thrilled with the progress I've made so far, but I've been focusing on the course material to the exclusion of learning songs.

When it was my turn to play something for Steve, I was pretty much a deer in the headlights... the only one in the group it seemed to me. Posted Image

Yup, the thought of tossing the two guitars I brought OFF THE ROOF of the hotel crossed my mind that day... luckily it was raining at the time and I didn't want them to get wet! Posted Image

Even though I knew going in that I didn't have much to demonstrate my progress, it was still a big wake-up call.

I realize playing in front of others is a milestone and I'll need to retry getting past this one when I actually have something real to play.

My advice (for what it's worth) to others (if any) like me, is: Do what Steve says and learn real songs... not just the ones in the course book either. Don't put song learning in the "fun, reward myself for getting a session (or the whole course) done" category, rather this should be done as you go, using what you learn in the course, otherwise you may forget some of what you've learned: use it or lose it!

Posted Image
Will

#2 KCsr

KCsr

• Members
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

#3 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

I got 'goaded ' into playing after my daughters end of year party ended at midnight Friday night.
The next door neighbor and his girlfriend, my wife and my sister-in-law kept goading for Yankee Doodle and heckling at the same time.. I played them the first handful of songs from the book up to session 6 and added O'Canada and a number of songs form the Hal Leonard easy pop's for about an hour and gave up when the first 5 bars to Stairway to Heaven fell apart..
At least the LMG crowd doesn't heckle..
Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

#4 JleoLegacy

JleoLegacy

_=||| SGT UBER NEWB |||=_

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

My advice (for what it's worth) to others (if any) like me, is: Do what Steve says and learn real songs... not just the ones in the course book either. Don't put song learning in the "fun, reward myself for getting a session (or the whole course) done" category, rather this should be done as you go, using what you learn in the course, otherwise you may forget some of what you've learned: use it or lose it!

Posted Image

Wfjtx

I understand entirely where you are recently in one of Steve's tips sections on video he says "the course provides the player with the tools to play" and his advice was to apply them to songs. What I know is learning songs is difficult it can eat up way more time very quickly than the lessons with acception of those muscle memory tasks like barres and timing techniques. But its something that I do thankfully challenges or a hard for me to pass by so I have a list of "I need to play these" made and I periodically visit the list and practice the way I see it its a long road to learning guitar you really do need to have some fun learning a song even if you know that a lot of the time it can be damned hard work. Personally I think the greatest challenge to learning a song is knowing how big is the song or how much of a challenge you are capable of and the old analogy about biting of more than you can chew springs to mind.

:electricguitar:

_john

#5 P M

P M

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:07 PM

To add to what Will said...

Something that Martin Taylor said really hit home with me. This is what I took from it, in my words.

He seperated guitar playing into 2 parts. The parts are seperate, but both need to be worked on equally.

One part is the physical skill of playing the guitar. It's the ability and skill to be able to physically take what's in your head, and in your heart, and release it through the guitar. You can have all the music in the world in your head, but you have to be able to physically play it on your guitar. The chords, the notes, the strumming...and the ability to read what's on a piece of paper in order to transfer it out of your instrument. It's physical. This is the part that the L&M course does an outstanding job of teaching us.

The other part is the Art of Making Music. You can know how to play all the barre chords, scales, strum patterns, etc...but you've got to turn them into "Music". It's ultimatly why we're all here. We develop this part by playing songs, coming up with melodies, playing with other people, going to the Guitar Gathering, etc. It's Cerebral.

What I took from Mr. Taylor, and what I've learned, is that both need to be developed equally.

When I started the course, I was in a hurry to see how fast I could go through it. I was making what I thought was a lot of progress..finishing up the lessons as quick as I could. Using Steve's "Your ready to move on when.." as a gauge as to how quickly I was progressing. I thought I'd have the course finished in no time flat. Then one afternoon I sat down with a bunch of "musicians", and it hit me like a ton of bricks....in my haste to get through the course, I never took the time to really learn how to play music. They were nice enough to walk me through a couple of the chord progressions, but for the most part I just sat there holding my guitar. I had been in such a hurry to learn the physical part of playing the guitar, I completely ignored the "Music" part.

Since then, I've quit timing how long I'm on a lesson. I go through the lessons and bonus dvd's, and I learn from them...but I'm no longer in a race to finish the course...and I'm enjoying it so much more. I'm learning how to play songs..but not just play them, I'm learing how to turn the melodies into something that's coming from me....not just what's written on the page. I'm learning how to make Music. I meet with other guitar players, and play with them. I try to learn songs and make them sound nice...not just try to get through them at a certain pace.

Anyway, sorry for such a long post..but I see a lot of people on the forum making the same mistake I was making, and not really taking the time to develop both aspects. You've got to take the time to smell the roses. Learn the physcial aspects of playing the guitar...but enjoy making music while you're doing it.

Peter

#6 BDH

BDH

• Members
  • 908 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Ohio

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:20 AM

Will, I'm with ya! Well, not on S16, but with ya on... 'play something for me' and in front of a bunch of others that I did not know. That was a moment for me as well, and what was particularly funny was when Steve was trying to show something with my fretting hand and he needed to get hold of my middle finger. What was funny was that it was shaking so much that he had a hard time grabbing on to it!!! :laugh: Still, I am better for the experience...
Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users