• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Jesse

Jesse

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMathews, LA

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:06 AM

Unless there are cameras and it was video taped. I was parked on level 1 in the handicap parking next to the elevator. but I don't want any hard feelings about this. We had too many happy times.

#22 revster

revster

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Locationontario

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

sorry to hear about the car. I hope you have kissed that grandchild who called when we where at BB King's, because he missed his grandpa. now he is truly valuable. Keep working on that wrist. your brother from the great white north steve

#23 Lucas

Lucas

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

I am glad this thread got going providing me an outlet for all the positive thoughts I had through the conference and during my drive home.

Obviously, my wife and I had an awesome time! How could 'ya not! Meeting all of the other conference-goers, Steve, Greg, and a couple of the Master class teachers was an experience that will not be forgotten. I am thrilled I made some great new connections and met some strangers that I would now call friends.

A few highlights about the conference I would like to point out, as I saw in a previous post (in no particular order - disclaimer!):

1. Getting the opportunity to spend 15 hours driving in a car with my wife. She wasn't all that excited about the drive but I refuse to put my Gibson (sponsor plug) on a plane!

2. Touring Gruhn's guitars and hanging out with Greg. I am sure there is not anything nice that I can say about Greg that hasn't been said already, making him and Gruhn's a highlight.

3. NASHVILLE! Holy cow! Especially for a music lover, Nashville was a treat to my senses. Enough said.

4. Meeting and talking with Steve. He had never seen or heard me play but yet it was as if he had....which was great! I had wondered in watching the DVD's how it was that Steve was always so "effervescent," as I liked to describe it. Well, after meeting him, now I know. He just is. I feel blessed having been able to experience Steve's ability to teach and inspire us all along with his amazing passion for everything guitar.

5. Along the same note, connecting with other learners at the Gathering was also quite an experience. I got to know a few of you well in the short time that we were there. However, I hope to get to know you better as time goes by along with some of the others that I was not fortunate to mingle or socialize with. The atmosphere inside those conference rooms was incredibly cathartic.

6. Lastly, I was honored to be able to play on stage at the Gathering. I have been asked in the last few days how that experience went. It's funny, for those of you that met me you know that I am not usually at a loss for words. Heck, those of you reading this can see that! However, in trying to describe how my student showcase performance went I have had a difficult time. The words "thrilling," "amazing," and "phenomenal" just do not convey the true extent of the experience. Playing for those of you who were in the room and willing to listen was great. Although next year I want to be able to sing and play!

Thanks to all who made my decision to attend the 2011 Gathering one of the best decisions I have ever made. I know that I am already looking forward to next year's event!

#24 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

I think you forgot #7

7. Having Tom sign up for the showcase even later than I did making him the last solo performer instead of me.

:)

#25 CapM

CapM

• Validating
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

Lucas - Thanks for letting me hang with you and Sarah! I enjoyed our dinners and adult beverages. Also, thanks to "the preacher" and Nancy for letting me hang with them!

After telling my wife how much fun I had, she said I can go again next year!

- Darin

#26 BDH

BDH

• Members
  • 908 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Ohio

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

and her response to the Gathering was... "this was a great event and while now I know why you cuss your slide (after she sat in the Rick Vito Masterclass), this has encouraged me to get back to playing. In fact, I think you and I should work up a duet for next years Gathering." Wow!!! Really??? Thank you Steve as I've been trying to get her to play with me (ummm, music that is :blushwarrior: ) for more than a decade with no luck, and you got that job done within a few days!!! How will I ever repay you???

That is fantastic! Congrats.

It was great to be able to sit down and have dinner with you both that night (Saturday? They all ran together).

Yep, pretty happy about this myself. Of course, now I'll have to see if she (we) can follow through. BTW, you and I had a conversation about thinking we left our digital recorders at home. Sure enough... I was packing early Sunday morning, and there it was... stuck in a side pocket that I didn't check earlier...

3. NASHVILLE! Holy cow! Especially for a music lover, Nashville was a treat to my senses. Enough said.

Nashville is just a great town. We have an office there so I've been there a lot over the past 20 years or so. In fact, my wife and I aren't too far out from retirement so we are thinking about where we would like to end up. After 50+ years of Ohio winters, it will definately be South of here. Then again, my family tends to go to Florida, and it is just too dang hot in the Summer for us. We are strongly thinking about the Nashville area (although, I doubt we will be able to live in 'Area 2'... that will make sense if you went to the Vince Gill Bluegrass show)... :happywarrior:
Brian

#27 sherwood12

sherwood12

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationKissimmee, Florida

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

I don't have much more to add to this thread except:

1) I wish that I could have gotten to know more of you but 4 days isn't much time with all the scheduled activities.

2) I will not name names but....... I saw two guitar players who were unsure if they were going to play in the student showcase. These "two" who are superior players and very supportive to their fellow students, had the "chills", went on anyway and performed very effectively. I was surprised at this! If I could play like them I would play my guitar naked and behind my back. :rolleyes: Practice, Practice, Practice.

Sidebar: Last year I came to the gathering wanting to play in the student showcase. When Steve tapped me on the shoulder saying I was next... I froze... and told him ..I couldn't. I was devastated inside. He responded to me in a calm and caring voice that touched me deeply saying that it was OK... this happens sometimes. I was determined to go on this year. When you guys clapped and supported me I could have been rich (living in area 2) and famous and not been any happier. I have relived the experience several times and it's a hoot.

4) I want to thank Katie and Tom for being such awesome people both on the boards and in real life. (disclaimer: any connection to point #2 is coincidental) :megaphone:

I also want to say to Karen, Lucas, John, Dave, Jesse, Jim, Mark and Renee, Steven, and others I hope to see all of you folks next year. Sorry if I missed your name!

Patrick

#28 revster

revster

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Locationontario

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

If those who where unable to be at the gathering have not guessed yet, it is THE place to make real connections:
1- with Steve: you have to meet this humble man and inspiring teacher.
2- with other guitarist, some young enough to be my grandkids who have the same joy of music.
3- with new special friends
4- with your guitar and the art of music.

by the way, Lucas will appreciate this next comment.

THANKS A LOT DARIN! I did my service at the seniors home this morning, brought my signed guitar to tell the story of the gathering. I had a hard time concentrating BECAUSE I KEPT LOOKING AT THEIR FEET.( private joke)

#29 Karen Pollick

Karen Pollick

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:14 PM

Saturday evening I was succumbing to some big anxiety because of the impending Student Showcase. Patrick, sensing my blatant fear, told me if I needed a solid place to look during my performance, I could gaze at him and he would gladly throw some of his energy reserves my way. Moments before my solo performance, Patricks wife came up to me, reached out and placed a hand on each of my arms, looked me in the eye and said 'you can do this- it will be great- don't worry about it have fun'. I just met these folk for the first time this week but the level of comfort I walked away with was that of old friends. Seriously-does it get any better than this?

Oh yeah and check this out. I asked Art saturday morning to play with me on one of the solo performance pieces. He asked me two questions. "Do you want to practice it before we perform?" To which I said "NO" and secondly, he said "what chords are in it?" To which I replied "E B and A". I can't believe he just got up on that stage, and without having any practice, busted out a sweet accompaniment to I'm A Woman. Art rocks!

Tom M made my week awesome with his subtle enthusiasm, rock steady presence and that fantastic grin he slips on when all the stars line up just so.

Finally- My new hat kicks *****! I would have gone to the mat to get this hat, thank you JH!

Karen Pollick

#30 California Jeff

California Jeff

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • LocationVentura County

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

My time at the GG turned out to be a great experience.

- Group Lesson and Ensembles with direct input from Steve

- All the Master Classes particularly the one with Will McFalane was memorable. He was all alone prior to his workshop,
I walked up to him and hopefully suppressed his trepadation about what to expect from our group,
We also had a really cool conversation about his time with Little Feat and Jerrry Garcia band

- Jamming with Art and Johnathan in the Jam room several nites until after midnight

- Getting up on stage for the Blues Jam with Will, Dino and the rest of the band

- Watching/listening to all the student showcases, All of you Rocked! (Maybe next year for me)

- Steve joining us in the Jam room the last nite till almost midnight

- Hanging out in the guitar setup area and talking to Greg and everyone else that come in and out

- Making many new friends (this was my first GG)

- Drinking many beers at the Flying Saucer

- The Ribs and slaw at Neely's

All the people I met at the GG were very cool and down to earth. I had a very good time hanging out with everyone. Many thanks to Steve and his crew for putting it all together!

#31 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:34 AM

2) I will not name names but....... I saw two guitar players who were unsure if they were going to play in the student showcase. These "two" who are superior players and very supportive to their fellow students, had the "chills", went on anyway and performed very effectively. I was surprised at this! If I could play like them I would play my guitar naked and behind my back. :rolleyes: Practice, Practice, Practice.

Yeah, I agree. That guy who went on last was just lame with his "I'm not performing" vibe.

Tom M made my week awesome with his subtle enthusiasm, rock steady presence and that fantastic grin he slips on when all the stars line up just so.

Thank you so very much. It was great getting more of a chance to get acquainted this year. :)

#32 John B

John B

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • LocationVermont, USA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:06 AM

Wow, here are some of my highlights...

Seeing all my old friends and meeting new friends. It is so cool to meet and hang out with the people on the board here.

Dinner with Steve Krenz, Tom Maddox, and Jesse at Demos Wednesday night.

BBQ at Jack's for lunch.

Being a member of all three guitar ensembles. Having Steve back me up with the Cannon Guitar 4 arpeggios.

The new sessions of songwriting and recording techniques.

Meeting Johnny Hiland and talking with him.

Having breakfast with Steve Krenz on Sunday morning.

Walking around downtown Nashville and the waterfront on Sunday morning.

Overall just a great experience. I can't wait until next year!
John B
Repeating course with Bonus DVD's

#33 Jesse

Jesse

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMathews, LA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:33 AM

Hey I can't say enough about the gathering. I think my wife is about to say shut up, no just kidding. Man I don't think I can pinpoint any special event over another, it was all great. I guess if I had to pick something it would be meeting Steve and the guys in the forum. Now the forum takes on a whole new meaning. I could go online now and talk to real people like Rev,John, Tom, Lucas, Jeff, Karen, Patrick, Bill, Jonathon, Footapper and I better quit before I get into trouble. I see everyone made it home OK! I'm going to start practice on a solo now for next year and sincerely May GOD bless you. Thank you all for being you. and that poor little monkey Brien, His arm will fall off!

#34 Jesse

Jesse

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMathews, LA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:44 AM

Hey guys, I wanted to order the song writing book. I grabbed a form because he sold out of books and was going to order it when I got home but he does not have his address on it. Does anyone know it? Thanks
Jesse

#35 gtrocinski

gtrocinski

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • LocationLa Crescent, MN

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

Gail and I drove down on Sunday to see some the sights surrounding Nashville. On Tuesday evening, about 5 of us gathered in the hotel lobby to help Steve set up. Unbeknownst to us, he was having issues with his car. But that night the Gathering started. I was greeted by people I knew and didn't know. At this Gathering, after about 30 seconds, there are no strangers.
This was our third Gathering and, I don't know how Steve does it, but each Gathering has been better than the last. We started with a concert from the Johnny Hiland Band. How could anyone start a Gathering any better than that!!!. The master classes were outstanding, each class providing information and many "aha" moments for those of us sitting in the seats. Being located in downtown Nashville afforded the opportunity to walk downtown and catch a few bands between classes. We experienced downtown Nashville like never before. There were friendships renewed and friendships made. The Gathering provides an opportunity to just get together and play, talk and do everything else associated with guitar for 4 fabulous days.
Thanks to Legacy and especially to Steve for putting on the best Gathering on the planet. Already looking forward to and making plans to attend next year's Gathering. Very thankful that everyone made it home safely. God Bless!

#36 Resurrected

Resurrected

Grumpy Old Git

• Members
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, United Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

Thanks very much for all the write ups guys & gals.

As someone who travelled across the pond to attend the very first gathering way back in 2008, it is always great to see what was started by the students back then (especially Adele & MikeM) has grown year on year and become such an integral part of the community.
http://www.re-warwick.co.uk/

Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right - H. L. Mencken

The blues are the roots; Everything else is the´╗┐ fruits.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

#37 CarolB

CarolB

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:19 PM

I must chime in my two cents and say what a glorious experience the gathering was. It's hard to come back to reality after meeting so many wonderful, friendly, encouraging people. I must start with Steve. His enthusiasm for teaching and watching people learn is unsurpassed. Not to mention his energy in making sure everyone is having a good time and comfortable. And he was always available for anyone who had a question, or just wanted to chat. I honestly don't know where he found his stamina.

Greg & William, from Gruhn's were the absolute best. They also didn't mind the most elementary of questions, nor did they mind all of us standing over them and watching everything they did. And yes, we definitely invaded their spaces!

All the performances were great! I enjoyed Will McFarlane and Rick Vito the best. Oh and also the session Steve & Dino did. That was fun even though I had to leave that one early because it was my time for a guitar set up.

I enjoyed the Gruhn's tour very much. Especially when George Gruhn gave Peter a 1935 Martin to play. When Peter was done, he handed it back to George and George proceeded to place a price tag on it for $35,000. Peter's expression and his shaking hands were priceless! (Rumour has it that Vince Gill came in a couple hours later, and either bought that guitar or borrowed it and played it at the Bluegrass concert later that evening).

I want to give kudos to Jonathan & Dalton. What wonderful young men those two are! They could have shined us old folks on, but they were more than willing to share their talents and equipment with us. What a fine representation of our future generation!

I can't wait for next year's gathering!

Thanks again Steve for all your diligence in putting this whole thing together. Oh, I almost forgot! Must give a special shout out to Garrett, sound man extraordinare / bass player. He did a magnificent job all week long!

#38 Karen Pollick

Karen Pollick

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:08 PM

Hey guys, I wanted to order the song writing book. I grabbed a form because he sold out of books and was going to order it when I got home but he does not have his address on it. Does anyone know it? Thanks
Jesse

info@strongsongwriting .com Here's a link that came with confirmation of purchase from Martin Cryer. If you sign in it directs you on how to obtain more info. Karen

#39 Jesse

Jesse

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMathews, LA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:34 PM

Thank you so much Karen, I really had fun at the gathering especially with the hat thing God Bless you.

#40 Don in E Texas

Don in E Texas

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGilmer, TX

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

Sounds like a great time was had by all!!

I was one of the first to sign up and pay for the 2011 Gathering. After a few weeks went by, our youngest grand daughter announced her forthcoming wedding: the Saturday of the gathering!!

Maybe next year?

Don
Piano Course: Lesson 16
Guitar Course: Lesson 3
Life's Course: Lesson 75

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users