44 replies to this topic

#1 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:39 AM

The Gathering is officially over and it's time to share your favorite stories and recollections to have a keepsake of the good times and convince everyone on the forum that they really should attend next year.

Here are just a few of mine:

-Meeting and chatting with Martin Taylor in the lobby of the hotel the night before his masterclass. A very nice man

-Having so many people ask me why I wasn't performing in the student showcase that I bit the bullett and got myself added as a last minute performer. Thank you for the push everyone.

-Having Gabriel show up several times and having him be one of the most enthusiastic audience members for the entire student showcase

-Playing roadie for Rick Vito

-Eating at Demos' three consecutive nights.

-Finding Will Mcfarlane wandering around the hallway and showing him where he would be performing his Master class.

- Having Steve drop by the jam room the last night and listen to me play my original tunes and then jamming over the loop of the opening part of Missing You and turning my simple song to something great, even though it has a "freaky"
chord that doesn't resolve properly :)

- Meeting up with old friends and making new ones.

I must admit that at one point I had my doubts about this conference but it turned out wonderfully. Great job to Steve and Legacy.

#2 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

Thank you Tom for starting this much needed thread.

I apologize to all for not doing my daily report of the Gathering as it is happening as I have done in past years. There were just too many details to attend to, too many late nights. I'll do my best to recap here...

TUESDAY
Many of the attendees arrived throughout the day to the hotel. We changed hotels this year to the Holiday Inn downtown. I was a little nervous about this but I think everyone now agrees it was great being walking distance from all of the downtown sites. I think we have found a good hotel for us to be at for future Gatherings.

While everyone was arriving at the hotel, meeting up and getting to know each other, I was back at the office until 11:00pm or so fretting over name badges, goodie bags, packing up, and the myriad of details that tend to overwhelm me as conference time approaches. But finally me and my son David got everything stuffed into the car and began to go to the hotel. Within a minute from the office I run over the biggest bolt I've seen in a long time and spend the next half hour or so unloading everything we just loaded in, changing a tire in the middle of the night, and loading it all back in. We arrived at the hotel sweaty and dirty about midnight. Then I set up the various rooms and registration area for the conference and finally hit the bed about 2:45am, only to find that there were still too many details in my head to sleep. Of the three meters in my head labled "excited", "fun", and "panic". The panic meter was still the highest by far.

This conference more than any other I came face to face with my need for a conference administrator. It's the little details at the end that make the panic meter rise and the fun meter to plummet.

WEDNESDAY
The day began with registration and getting everyone checked in. It was great to see some wonderful old friends from past conferences and so many excited new ones. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Marshall LaFar and Tom Maddox are the only ones left that have been to all four of the Gatherings. I was thrilled to meet so many of our new friends. You new guys really made this a great event. It was a joy getting to know you all for a few wonderful days and I look forward to the next time I can hang out and play with you again.

(currently on Wednesday my panic meter was still high, but now the excitement meter was starting to rise as well.)

We began the group lessons on Wednesday morning. As expected, all were nervous playing in front of everyone. Many, if not most, found themselves for the first time playing in front of a group of people. It's an important breakthrough in a musician's development. I fully realize the fear, terror, and anxiety that can rise up in even the stiffest of grown ups as you sit there in the last chair in the row as we go aroud the room and you know eventually I'm going to point to you and say those terrifying words "Do you have anything you want to play for us?"

People need to break through that barrier. I was happy and even proud that this conference provides many opportunities for people to make that scary jump into playing in front of others. You couldn't have a better group of people to play for - each one knows exactly what you're going through.

The group lessons went well. I slip into my comfortable role of teaching and guiding. I love every exhausting minute of it.

Wednesday afternoon began the ensemble rehearsals. We had two ensembles last year and did two songs. This year we had three ensembles and did 6 songs. I was never so proud of you all that participated in the ensembles. I fully realize that I got the music late to you on some of the songs. As many of you struggled to learn the new parts I know in your heads you thought the reason was because you weren't playing well. But I quietly new that as I watched you struggle that the fault was really mine in not getting you the parts in time enough to prepare. I know that you can do great things if you have time to prepare properly. Even if we have to do the same songs next year, I'll make sure you have the parts months sooner.

But the rehearsals went well. It was fun to see everyone have to work together and play together. These are things that we as guitarists don't do enough of.

(I will continue more of my recap in a while. I need to go eat some breakfast and get ready for the day.

- Steve

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

#3 Deogee

Deogee

Learning guitar--one song at a time

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

(I will continue more of my recap in a while. I need to go eat some breakfast and get ready for the day.

- Steve

Take 5 Steve...sounds like you've earned it!!
Glad the Gathering was a success; let your Relaxation Meter take over for a bit now
. Posted Image
Lord, Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

#4 PepVol

PepVol

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLenoir City TN

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

After attending the first 2 Gatherings , circumstances that I couldn't control have caused me to miss the last 2 . I've hated not being there and I plan on being there next year no matter what . Thanks for being such an awesome , caring Teacher Steve , and thank you for giving those of us unable to be there this year a run down of events ..... it's the next best thing to actually being there .
Brian

#5 RSC

RSC

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLeeds England

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

Thanks Tom for the thread I was EAGERLY AWAITING news from the gathering. It sounds like every one had a fantastic time. I only wish I lived in America so I could go. Who knows I might have the money to go one day. Gibson might even start a UK gathering. Steve, you need to rest now and recover from all your hard work. Great job every one especially the first time players who managed to pluck up the courage to play in front of others. scary stuff. Normally learner guitarist play to an audience of one; themselves in the bedroom mirror lol. That's ME IN THE MIRROR playing now LOOK.

Robert
Now Studying Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#6 Cindy

Cindy

• Members
  • 5,151 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for letting us know how it went, and I hope to hear from more attendees! It sounds like everyone enjoyed an awesome time. About how many LMGers were there?

MikeM's File Sharing Site for LMG students
Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art--Leonardo da Vinci

Unofficial Taylor Guitar Forum

#7 JonathanB

JonathanB

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLake Wylie, SC

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:49 PM

http://www.google.co...iw=1441&bih=628

This is a link to the picture showing everything you need to have to make a home recording studio and how to connect it used to in the Home Recording workshop.

:chillin:

#8 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:58 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Marshall LaFar and Tom Maddox are the only ones left that have been to all four of the Gatherings.

John Bertsch has been to all four.

#9 revster

revster

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Locationontario

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

thanks Tom for this thread! I pray everyone from the gatghering got home safe for we where all over the country and a few of us canucks. Being a Newbie at the gathering ( and bringing my wife with me) I did not fully know what to expect. WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!!!!!
the new friends made,who share this passion for guitars, are so very valuable.
meeting Steve, who is so genuine and encouraging, has lit a new fire.
being in a small room with Master guitarists whose knowledge is fantastic,yet so down to earth sharing. Wow
Johnny Hiland just adopted us all into his family. he means it!!!

other stories and pictures later. we had tours of Gruhn's guitars. surrounded by millions of $$$$$ of guitars was our dreams. I was with the last group on saturday and George Gruhn personally gave us a tour. he does not usually do this at all. funny, knowledgable,inviting. he said he only made 41$ in tips playing guitars. than sat down and played a early 1920's acoutic that he loved. while playing Big Jim threw him a dollar. HE PICKED IT UP AFTER HE WAS DONE PLAYING. historic. thanks again to steve, and all the Legacy family. next year even more .

By the way, my wife Nancy atended some of the classes as an observer. saturday morning she said," I do not play but this has been great. i really enjoyed it" spouses welcomed

#10 Tommy723

Tommy723

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNear Hershey, PA

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

Wow... sounds like it was an awesome time!

This is definitely on my list of things I want to do next year. I just hope I can make it. I have a 3 week trip to the Philippines to visit my family in May of next year, so I may not be able to get the time off work for this. But I will at least be able to make the weekend portion of it. :electricguitar:
::Tommy

Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Current session: #4 started on 7/9/2011

Playing a Fender FA-130 Acoustic/Electric Guitar

#11 Stargazer55

Stargazer55

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationEastern, PA

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

Thanks for starting the thread. Tom and thank you Steve for pulling off another outstanding gathering event! I arrived home at 4:30 a.m. this morning and didn't even feel tired. It was wonderful seeing all the old friends & meeting the new folks. I'm already looking forward to next year! :happywarrior:

Tom
"Criticism is necessary and useful; it is often indispensable; but it can never take the place of action, or be even a poor substitute for it. The function of the mere critic is of very subordinate usefulness. It is the doer of deeds who actually counts in the battle for life, and not the man who looks on and says how the fight ought to be fought, without himself sharing the stress and the danger." Teddy Roosevelt(1894)

#12 Pierre340

Pierre340

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

congrats to you all, i will try to join next year but from Belgium it is not by the door cheers Peter

#13 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for sharing everyone. :biggrin:

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Guest Password is JelloManKent
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/
Guest Password is JelloManKent

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#14 BDH

BDH

• Members
  • 908 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Ohio

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:03 AM

Let's see... where to start...

The good things...

1) seeing old friends and making new friends...
2) watching Jonathon and Dalton tear it up onstage (gotta love the youth)...
3) hearing Karen P's unbelievable voice (please don't forget about us after you get on American Idol)...
4) watching Steve pull together another awesome Gathering with amazing talent!!
5) having access to Greg and having him work his magic on my instruments (although I did get the bad news that my 1971 Guild F212 needs a 'neck surgery' (a neck reset) that I was not counting on... oh well, it will be a player once he gets done with it)...

However, the best thing was bringing my wife along (I've mentioned in the past that she has a music degree, but I have only heard her play once in the 14 years I've known her as 'she has lost her chops'), and her response to the Gathering was... "this was a great event and while now I know why you cuss your slide (after she sat in the Rick Vito Masterclass), this has encouraged me to get back to playing. In fact, I think you and I should work up a duet for next years Gathering." Wow!!! Really??? Thank you Steve as I've been trying to get her to play with me (ummm, music that is :blushwarrior: ) for more than a decade with no luck, and you got that job done within a few days!!! How will I ever repay you???

The not so good things...

1) not making it to a Gruhn's tour. The open slots just didn't line up with my agenda, but in addition, I really didn't need the temptation. Maybe next year...

2) not having the courage to get up on stage. Once again I chickened out, but after seeing everyone else get up there and bare their souls, I don't know what my problem is. I am going to work hard on this and hopefully will be up there in 2012 either in an ensemble, OR if my wife really pulls through and we put together a duet.

Can't wait for next years dates as I plan to be the first to sign up... :happywarrior:
Brian

#15 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:34 AM

and her response to the Gathering was... "this was a great event and while now I know why you cuss your slide (after she sat in the Rick Vito Masterclass), this has encouraged me to get back to playing. In fact, I think you and I should work up a duet for next years Gathering." Wow!!! Really??? Thank you Steve as I've been trying to get her to play with me (ummm, music that is :blushwarrior: ) for more than a decade with no luck, and you got that job done within a few days!!! How will I ever repay you???

That is fantastic! Congrats.

It was great to be able to sit down and have dinner with you both that night (Saturday? They all ran together).

#16 Jesse

Jesse

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMathews, LA

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:43 AM

On another note, I asked my wife if I could use her Mercedes C-300 to go to the gathering because of the 9 hr drive. When I got home we saw that the car had been keyed in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn. Thank GOD my wife is an understanding lady. I don't understand why people do those thing. Maybe it's because it's a Mercedes? Who knows?

#17 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:50 AM

Jesse!!!

I'm so sorry that this happened. I don't know what I could do about it but I will sure let the Holiday Inn know about it.

I'm so sorry.

- Steve

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

#18 Jesse

Jesse

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMathews, LA

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:52 AM

Even with that, I am so glad I went to the gathering It is an experience I will never forget. The Good overrides the bad.

#19 Jesse

Jesse

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMathews, LA

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:58 AM

Steve there is nothing that can be done. Hotels will not take the responsibility for the vehicles. My insurance will take care of it but thanks
Jesse

#20 percision

percision

• Members
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCabot Arkansas

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:02 AM

On another note, I asked my wife if I could use her Mercedes C-300 to go to the gathering because of the 9 hr drive. When I got home we saw that the car had been keyed in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn. Thank GOD my wife is an understanding lady. I don't understand why people do those thing. Maybe it's because it's a Mercedes? Who knows?

Its because there are alot of people who are just crap as human beings and don't care about others and their possesions. Been there and done that too, someone slammed their car door into my new 07' mustang GT right after I got it and left without leaving any info behind. Then another person did it while I was sitting in my car in the parking lot and they didn't even bat an eye while walking away till I poped out of my car to confront them. The first one got away without having to pay up but not the second at least. It amazes me how unattentaive people are and how they don't care about respecting other peoples property.

I plan on going next year because I can plan my vacation around it :surprisedwarrior:
Would have been there this year but I came into L&MG too late to change my current vacation plans.

Gibsons Learn and Master Guitar, Session : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Song hits course, Session : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Learn and Master Blues guitar, Session : 1 2 3 4 5 6

My first Live Gig

My blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users