#1 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:29 PM

Hello all,

I just received an email from Pete Huttlinger's wife, Erin. He had been steadily improving from his stroke last year and was back out on the road again doing concerts. But there has been a set back.

Dear Steve;
You will never believe this, but I was just working my way through June dates and clicked my email to find your address….and here was your email.
It is true. Pete’s health is not good. He’s progressed into severe heart failure. We have been at Vanderbilt for over a week. We are very hopeful that soon we will be added to the National Heart transplant list. So I am notifying all of Pete’s gigs for 2011, that we have to cancel. I’ve tried to figure out any way around this and I can’t. If he doesn’t get the transplant, he’ll be too sick to perform. If he does get the transplant, it might take a year to recover.
We are remaining positive. Pete’s in great hands here at Vanderbilt. I know you understand, but I am still very sorry to have to throw this wrench at you.
Sincerely,
Erin (and Pete)

Just so you can put a face with the name, here is Pete playing a great arrangement of "Isn't She Lovely" by Stevie Wonder

I have written her back and expressed our prayers, and concern for Pete.

Needless to say, he will not be with us for the Guitar Gathering. I will be making other plans for a night concert for us. Give me a couple of days and I'll have this nailed down.

- Steve

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

#2 J45

J45

• Members
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationVirginia USA

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

Thats a shame Steve..such a great guitar player..he'll be in my thoughts..
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom, Larrivee L-03R Acoustic; Fender American Standard Strat; Fender Blacktop Tele; Fender 52' Vintage Hot Rod Tele; Fender Super Sonic 22; Fender Mustang II Amp; Ultrasound AG-30 Acoustic Amp; Roland RD-700NX Digital Piano; Nikon D7000 DSLR

May You Be In Heaven A Half Hour Before The Devil Knows You're Dead...

#3 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:47 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with Pete and his family. A great player and the one time I met him he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.
Get well soon Pete.

#4 kt6strings

kt6strings

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

And thanks Steve, for letting us know, and for all your hard work getting the Gathering all squared away.

We all hope for the best.
Katie

"Music is heaven all around us." -Michael Hedges (1953-1997)

#5 John B

John B

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • LocationVermont, USA

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:28 PM

Wow, sad to hear the news about Pete. My thoughts and prayers are with Pete and his family. Thanks for letting us know Steve.
John B
Repeating course with Bonus DVD's

#6 Stargazer55

Stargazer55

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationEastern, PA

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:34 PM

Thanks, Steve. Our prayers are with him.

Tom
"Criticism is necessary and useful; it is often indispensable; but it can never take the place of action, or be even a poor substitute for it. The function of the mere critic is of very subordinate usefulness. It is the doer of deeds who actually counts in the battle for life, and not the man who looks on and says how the fight ought to be fought, without himself sharing the stress and the danger." Teddy Roosevelt(1894)

#7 olky

olky

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Locationky

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:47 PM

our prayers go out to Pete and his family.

#8 markdelaware

markdelaware

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationDela -- where???

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

I am praying for Pete and his family.

I am also praying for you and your family Steve as I know this adds more work and stress for you which are two things where you already have more than your share.

He will carry you through!

If He carried us "around" versus "through", we wouldn't be the men we are today!

On a positive note, I went from a near fatal motorcycle crash July 31st (less than a year after my wife passed away) through 11 surgeries so far to a point where I am starting to play again, walk with a cane, and booking my flight tonight for the Gathering.

Sometimes His ways are much more than mysterious than I like but I trust He has the best plan for my life, for Pete's, and for yours.

God answers prayers!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to your on-line lesson Tuesday and seeing you again in June!

#9 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:11 AM

Mark,

No online lesson tonight. It will be tomorrow night and I am looking forward to it too.

I look forward to meeting you and getting to know you a bit better in June. It's a true honor getting to help you and so many other wonderful people reach for their potential with music.

I feel very blessed.

- Steve

If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com

#10 Nickelbag

Nickelbag

Idiot Savant

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Texas

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:16 AM

My neighbor across the street died from that last year. He just died on the front porch while his wife and kids were in the house. Another neighbor saw him and called 911. He was a great guy and only in his early 40's. I hope he can get a transplant soon...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:40 AM

Thanks for the update Steve. Get well soon Pete.

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Guest Password is JelloManKent
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#12 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:02 PM

Pete just posted this note on his facebook page...

Thank you everyone for the kind wishes. I haven’t posted anything up to this point because on a certain level I feel private about my health, but I know you are all concerned and Erin and I appreciate that.

My situation is that I have a congenital heart defect. It has troubled me on and off my entire life. My condition has deteriorated over the last year, and in the past month it has become significantly worse.

At this point, I am going through testing to find out if I am eligible for a heart transplant. Although my own personal diagnosis is that I am :) , the doctors obviously have to make a lot of technical determinations. Meanwhile, we wait. All your prayers and good wishes are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Pete Huttlinger

- Steve

SteveKrenz.com

#13 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

Just FYI: Latest update by Erin on Pete's progress
----------

update:

On Wednesday, June 22, Pete's 50th birthday, he was released from St. Luke's / Texas Heart. It took all day to get everything in order....discharge papers, prescriptions (19), endless instructions, and waiting for Pete to finish his nap. At 4:30 Pete, Sean and I caught the shuttle back to our hotel. I know Pete was thrilled to be out, but still didn't have any energy to act thrilled. So Sean and I acted thrilled for him. Earlier in the day a volunteer that comes to see Pete regularly brought a birthday cake into his room. It was like somebody had told him that we had not been able to get to a store to do any sort of shopping for Pete's celebration. This wonderful volunteer's name is Randy. He had a heart transplant nearly 23 years ago and is going strong. He comes by the room once a week and laughs and tells stories and cheers all of us up. And on this day he brought a cake. I could have cried I was so appreciative. I know that Pete didn't expect gifts or anything actually. I had told him that his gifts from me would be Sean coming to visit and springing him from the hospital. He was happy with that. But I was relieved to know that once we got to the apartment we could at least sing to him and have some birthday sweets. Also, back at the apartment, was a beautiful assortment of balloons, cards and gifts that arrived from friends and family. Poor Pete was so exhausted he walked right past the pile of gifts and balloons and sat in the chair. After he'd rested a bit, I pointed out what was right in front of him and he got a huge smile on his face. Sean and I sang to him and helped him open gifts. It was a great day.

As I understand it, this is what the near future holds for us. We will remain in Houston for at least another month. We will have to go in and out of the hospital for appointments once or twice a week. I'm not sure what all this will entail. I would guess making sure the pump continues to work as it should, tweaking medicines, and making sure that Pete is recovering on the whole, nutrition, weight, strength, etc...

So now that he's been out for a few days we are settling into a schedule here. Lots of rest. Lots of medicines. Lots of television. But it feels good to be out of the sterile environment of the hospital, away from wires and IVs and needles and really, really bad food. And I spend a lot of time loving him and encouraging him and trying to think of ways to thank every single nurse, doctor, social worker and aide from Vanderbilt to Texas Heart. Still working on that part.

#14 Stargazer55

Stargazer55

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationEastern, PA

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the update, Tom.

Tom
"Criticism is necessary and useful; it is often indispensable; but it can never take the place of action, or be even a poor substitute for it. The function of the mere critic is of very subordinate usefulness. It is the doer of deeds who actually counts in the battle for life, and not the man who looks on and says how the fight ought to be fought, without himself sharing the stress and the danger." Teddy Roosevelt(1894)

#15 J45

J45

• Members
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationVirginia USA

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

Thanks Tom..
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom, Larrivee L-03R Acoustic; Fender American Standard Strat; Fender Blacktop Tele; Fender 52' Vintage Hot Rod Tele; Fender Super Sonic 22; Fender Mustang II Amp; Ultrasound AG-30 Acoustic Amp; Roland RD-700NX Digital Piano; Nikon D7000 DSLR

#16 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

Thanks for the update.

I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to my CG Art is

Link to my Recordings is

#17 catrancher

catrancher

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

This is my first post on this forum but I've been a long time lurker. Since 2008 when I bought the course in fact. :oopswarrior:

However, as a huge Pete Huttlinger fan, I've been following his plight with his heart.

For any or all of you in or around Nashville, there's going to be a benefit concert for Pete this July 26th called "FOR PETE'S SAKE: YOU GOTTA HAVE A HEART".

Details here.

I only wish I lived closer and could go.

Tom

L&M Guitar:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

“I would teach children music, physics, and philosophy; but most importantly music, for the patterns in music and all the arts are the keys to learning” - Plato

#18 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:10 AM

Welcome :biggrin:

and thanks for the info, we wish Pete well and a long healthy life. :biggrin:

Link to my CG Art is

Link to my Recordings is

#19 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

Here is the latest update from Erin (Pete's wife) on his condition. I received this this morning... - Steve

Hi everyone....I know it's time for an update...Sorry to have taken so long.
After release from the hospital on June 22 we had a wonderful two weeks of gaining a little weight and a lot of physical therapy. Last Wednesday night, Pete came down with a high fever so we were re-admitted to the hospital. They never could really figure out what the fever was, but they did figure out what it wasn't which is most important. It wasn't any sort of infection in the pump or in his incision, where the power cable comes out of his side. So that was good. They did however find out that he needed blood (3 units) and was very anemic, also fluid in his lungs. So after a 5 day stay, we were released again on Monday and things are going well. Every day he gets stronger. His weight is still super low--it ranges between 122 - 129, up and down. But he's walking without a walker and he's very steady. A big event was when he could climb up the three stairs on the hotel shuttle (our only form of transport) and didn't have to use the wheelchair lift. A great day indeed. Tomorrow is our regular weekly appointment. We are getting closer to being released from Houston. More later.....
Erin

SteveKrenz.com

#20 J45

J45

• Members
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationVirginia USA

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:05 PM

That is indeed great news Steve...Thanks
Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users