• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Polly

Polly

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

Two questions:

Does this course cover the Argentine Tango? I attended a class with a friend and enjoyed it very much.

Can this class be taken alone, or do you absolutely need a partner?

#2 NelsonJames

NelsonJames

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:20 AM

Not knowing what the specific course teaches -- having danced Argentine tango for 11 years, I can tell you that a partner does help; moreso if you intend on being a leader, but since it is a social dance, and the object is to dance with as many people as possible at a milonga, you really benefit from dancing with as many different partners as you can. In reality all partners feel different (and lead/follow differently. The problem I originally had when I started was that after a time a partner will "learn" your repetoire so that you might not actually be leading as well as you think, rather the partner knows what you're wanting. The only way to be sure is to try it with someone you've never danced with before and see if they follow. From the followers perspective, I've found that followers pick up the dance much faster than leaders, keep that in mind as two people starting out at the same time, you'll probably advance much faster.

As for your specific question there are lots of exercises you can still do alone, primarily for balance and learning the tempo of the music, but you will eventually need a partner. I still remember how well I used to dance alone only to have it totally go awry when a partner came on the scene!

Anyway, Argentine Tango is a lot of fun. It's not the easiest dance to learn, but well worth the effort. I've made friends all over the world dancing tango, and now I look for the local tango community where ever I happen to travel (they are everywhere even Anchorage Ak).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users