• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Clavinovaguy

Clavinovaguy

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

Hi Will,
I've been doing great until I got to Blues Lick #2 in Session 18. I can play the lick with my right hand, and I can play the G Blues form with my left hand, but for the life of me, I can't play them together. For me, It's like the old "rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time." I feel very uncoordinated trying to put the two hands together for this exercise. This is the first time in the course where I've been stuck. Question: Are there any "tricks" I should know that would help me learn this particular exercise? Thanks. Clavinovaguy

#2 Mystery

Mystery

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:03 AM

Hello Clavinovaguy,

Welcome to the L&MP Discussion Board!

Hi Will,
I've been doing great until I got to Blues Lick #2 in Session 18. I can play the lick with my right hand, and I can play the G Blues form with my left hand, but for the life of me, I can't play them together. For me, It's like the old "rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time." I feel very uncoordinated trying to put the two hands together for this exercise. This is the first time in the course where I've been stuck. Question: Are there any "tricks" I should know that would help me learn this particular exercise? Thanks. Clavinovaguy

I'm not Will, but I'll respond to your question with some comments, questions and suggestions.

Comments: Before moving on to Session 19, there is no requirement for you to play the RH "Blues Lick #2" segments through the 12-measure Blues Form together with the appropriate chords in the LH. You are required to be able to play only the RH "Blues Lick #2" segments through the 12-measure Blues Form.

Questions: What counting scheme are you using when playing each measure of the RH "Blues Lick #2" segments? Have you tried counting "1 & a 2 & a 3 & a (4 & a)" while playing each measure of the required notation for the RH?

Suggestions: Try playing the notation for the RH using the counting scheme I outlined in the preceding paragraph. For each measure of the notation required for the RH, a pair of notes is to be struck on each of those count characters not enclosed in parentheses. When those count characters are enclosed in parentheses, the pair of RH notes struck immediately prior to those parenthesized count characters are to be held through those parenthesized counts. If you choose to play the LH chords together with the required RH notation, start coordinating both hands (i.e. playing HT --- Hands Together) by playing the appropriate whole-note chord in each measure (struck with appropriate fingers of the LH on beat 1 and held for all four beats in each measure). Once that has been mastered, change the LH part to two appropriate half-note chords in each measure (struck with the appropriate LH fingers on beats 1 and 3 only, and held for beats 2 and 4, respectively) and practice playing HT. Finally, after mastering the latter combination, change the LH part to four appropriate quarter-note chords in each measure (struck on each beat and held for only one beat each) and practice playing HT. Count aloud or silently, but you must count while practicing!

I hope this information helps you to achieve the goal you've set for yourself regarding "Blues Lick #2." Proper practice promotes positive progress that precedes pleasant performances. Please keep us informed about your progress as you move through the L&MP Couse material. Comments and questions are always welcomed and should be posted to the appropriate topic area in the L&MP DB.

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

#3 Clavinovaguy

Clavinovaguy

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

Hi Mystery,

Thanks for the information. I tried your suggestions, and they work. I'm still practicing the exercise, but I've overcome the "rubbing your belly and patting your head" problem. Also, I knew that putting two hands together wasn't required for this exercise, but I wanted to do it anyway. Thanks again. Clavinovaguy

Hello Clavinovaguy,

Welcome to the L&MP Discussion Board!

Hi Will,

I'm not Will, but I'll respond to your question with some comments, questions and suggestions.

Comments: Before moving on to Session 19, there is no requirement for you to play the RH "Blues Lick #2" segments through the 12-measure Blues Form together with the appropriate chords in the LH. You are required to be able to play only the RH "Blues Lick #2" segments through the 12-measure Blues Form.

Questions: What counting scheme are you using when playing each measure of the RH "Blues Lick #2" segments? Have you tried counting "1 & a 2 & a 3 & a (4 & a)" while playing each measure of the required notation for the RH?

Suggestions: Try playing the notation for the RH using the counting scheme I outlined in the preceding paragraph. For each measure of the notation required for the RH, a pair of notes is to be struck on each of those count characters not enclosed in parentheses. When those count characters are enclosed in parentheses, the pair of RH notes struck immediately prior to those parenthesized count characters are to be held through those parenthesized counts. If you choose to play the LH chords together with the required RH notation, start coordinating both hands (i.e. playing HT --- Hands Together) by playing the appropriate whole-note chord in each measure (struck with appropriate fingers of the LH on beat 1 and held for all four beats in each measure). Once that has been mastered, change the LH part to two appropriate half-note chords in each measure (struck with the appropriate LH fingers on beats 1 and 3 only, and held for beats 2 and 4, respectively) and practice playing HT. Finally, after mastering the latter combination, change the LH part to four appropriate quarter-note chords in each measure (struck on each beat and held for only one beat each) and practice playing HT. Count aloud or silently, but you must count while practicing!

I hope this information helps you to achieve the goal you've set for yourself regarding "Blues Lick #2." Proper practice promotes positive progress that precedes pleasant performances. Please keep us informed about your progress as you move through the L&MP Couse material. Comments and questions are always welcomed and should be posted to the appropriate topic area in the L&MP DB.

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

#4 Mystery

Mystery

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:37 AM

Hello Clavinovaguy,

Hi Mystery,

Thanks for the information. I tried your suggestions, and they work. I'm still practicing the exercise, but I've overcome the "rubbing your belly and patting your head" problem. Also, I knew that putting two hands together wasn't required for this exercise, but I wanted to do it anyway. Thanks again. Clavinovaguy

I'm pleased to read that you've found my suggestions "work" for you.

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

#5 blackandwhitekees

blackandwhitekees

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:09 AM

Thank you

#6 ravindra

ravindra

• Members
  • 36 posts