• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mystery

Mystery

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:53 AM

Hi everyone,

To add a pleasant ending to the "Swanee River" piece on page 9-3 of the Lesson Book, consider playing four quarter-note chords in the last measure, instead of the one whole-note chord, as printed.

The chords I suggest are Bb, Eb, Ebm and Bb. Each of those chords should be played with a Bb-note on the "bottom" of the chord. So, the chord-positions are then, Bb in root position, Eb & Ebm in second inversion, then back to Bb in root position. Enjoy!

Happy 88s,

Mystery

#2 Clavi

Clavi

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationQueensland Australia

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

HI Mystery,
Just tackling session 9 . The ending you suggested for Swanee river certainly makes a very nice conclusion thank you. I have a question that I hope is not a stupid one .I know playing Swanee River, Will suggest playing the chords with the right hand and then play the melody with the bass notes. If playing Swannee River and using triad chords in the Bass ( Eb (3) triad chord in root position (second measure ) how does the right hand play the single note Bb at the same time when the chord is using that note. I have been using the third inversion that overcomes that problem but I notice in other written music that chords in the bass line state if they are in root position or inversion and clash with notes on the treble staff to be played. Hope this all makes sense.

Cheers John.
John ( Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia )

Yamaha Clavinova CVP 301 digital piano.

L&M Piano session 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

#3 Mystery

Mystery

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

Hello John (a.k.a. "Clavi"),

HI Mystery,
Just tackling session 9 . The ending you suggested for Swanee river certainly makes a very nice conclusion thank you. I have a question that I hope is not a stupid one .I know playing Swanee River, Will suggest playing the chords with the right hand and then play the melody with the bass notes. If playing Swannee River and using triad chords in the Bass ( Eb (3) triad chord in root position (second measure ) how does the right hand play the single note Bb at the same time when the chord is using that note. I have been using the third inversion that overcomes that problem but I notice in other written music that chords in the bass line state if they are in root position or inversion and clash with notes on the treble staff to be played. Hope this all makes sense.

Cheers John.

My much earlier post regarding "Swanee River" in Session 9 of the L&M Piano Lesson Book (either edition) should prove helpful to you. Click on http://community.lea...er/#entry136211 to access that post.

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

#4 Clavi

Clavi

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationQueensland Australia

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

Hi Mystery,
Many thanks for the link, somehow I missed that one. I am pleased that I have been playing the chords in Swanee River as you have suggested ,at least I got that right. I am still a bit puzzled that some music scores show chords written on the bass staff that clash with treble notes instead of an inversion that would eliminate that problem , I am probably over thinking this at this stage of learning but I am curious .

Cheers John.
John ( Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia )

Yamaha Clavinova CVP 301 digital piano.

L&M Piano session 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users