• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Don_S

Don_S

• Members
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

Ben, I know that you'll reach your goal. You can read the determination in your post. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and focus on the end rather than the obstacles :)

#2 andrew

andrew

Advanced member

• Members
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta Canada

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:58 PM

Great post Ben best of luck.Life truly is more than a job sounds like you have found that out and are pusuing your dream.Keep us posted on your progress.

#3 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for sharing. :D

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Guest Password is JelloManKent
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#4 Kurrykid

Kurrykid

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:51 AM

Awesome post Ben...go for it!
Dave

#5 123456

• Validating
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:04 AM

Talk about a Magical Musical Moment!

That's fantastic! So few actually have enough faith to follow their hearts.

#6 Plabius

Plabius

• Members
  • 434 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, New York

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:22 PM

Hey, Ben.

You sound as if you have a new lease on life. Perhaps you've even discovered your purpose! At your age, most of the road is still before you. May the journey enrich both you and yours!

God Bless!
Fender Deluxe Player's Stratocaster
Ibanez Artwood 200vv Acoustic
Vox VT30 Amplifier

#7 Ron aka Columbo

Ron aka Columbo

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationHolly Springs , Georgia

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

Keep the faith... and continue to just do it. With your passion and will.. it will come. My son in law has a music major and loves teaching. He was just hired at a charter school in Tampa and teachs music at elem, middle and high school levels. Together with our guidance he has obtained grants for new instruments. He has started a drum line and is working on a holiday show.. the first one for the school. The kids love him and it tells in the kids and parents involvement!

I wish you luck in your endeavor.. If we dont try we will never know.

Ron

MY GUITARS
 2004' Fender American Stratocaster,  2013' Eastman T386,  1994' Washburn D-10,  2008' Takamine EAN 40C,  2015' Fender CD 60CE
 2015' 1966 reissue Ephiphone SG 400 Pro, 2016 Squier Classic Vibe Tele

MY AMPS
Fishman Loudbox 60 amp, Roland 40GX amp, Fender Mustang 1 amp

Looking for more toys !

#8 FloydFanatic

FloydFanatic

Bendaholics Anonymous

• Members
  • 3,092 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:54 PM

Good luck brother! You got cahones of steel! :lol:

I hope all goes well for ya, keep us posted.
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you'll find
Ten years have gone behind you
No one told you when to run
You've missed the starting gun

#9 cowanrayl

cowanrayl

• Members
  • 803 posts
  • LocationWestern, PA

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:47 PM

Good luck to you Ben. You're young enough that you're really just getting started in life. Make it one that you can enjoy.
He is a winner who perseveres.
Finis!

#10 savage8190

savage8190

• Members
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:59 AM

Thanks for the well wishes guys, Im very excited about this. It gives me some hope that maye life doesn't have to suck...to put it bluntly.

I've been going through some of the books for the RCM's, and its really not as bad as I thought it would be so far. I guess it helps that I dont really have to worry about what my left hand is doing and can focus on getting the right hand technique down.

Im very surprised to say that I am quite enjoying the classical music as well. Its funny, when I was a kid/pre-teen I used to always listen to Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc... and I loved it. I don't know why I don't listen to it now, its very calming.
"I only get concerned about money when the electricity goes out. Then you have to do acoustic records."

"...It`s not so much how good a player you are, it`s how cool you are".

- Slash

#11 harryv

harryv

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

Keep keeping on Ben, I hope you come into your calling!!! Keep us posted.
ON SESSION 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 skiped 10 stuck on 11

#12 Ascoli

Ascoli

• Members
  • 837 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

Good luck in following your passion!
"To play without passion is inexcusable." - Beethoven

#13 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:03 PM

(that's why you had a hobby.. to distract you from the borring job)
well good luck..

Adele didn't quite run down this road but she has students of her own now; so maybe in a few months time you can advertise in a local music store bulletin board or paper that you are willing to give cheap lessons.

you don't have to have a cert to train people on something you know..
You learn to teach and play guitar and have some spare cash in pocket, they learn to play guitar
Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

#14 CenCalPlayer

CenCalPlayer

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

All the best Ben!!!!!!!! Tear it up!!!!!

8)

#15 MattMcWilliams

MattMcWilliams

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:07 PM

Ben,

Amazing post! Thanks for sharing.

and it all started with a little bit of perseverance, and Learn and Master Guitar.

Really? I just got goosebumps :)
Matt McWilliams

I work at Legacy and nothing I say necessarily reflects the views of Legacy Learning Systems, but they probably do...maybe.

#16 Eddie N

Eddie N

• Members
  • 1,870 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN.

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

When I'm driving, or washing the dishes...

You already bought a tour bus with a kitchen sink... :D

Ben,

Good for you!

I was in my 30's when I completely change jobs, and job directions. It was the best thing I ever did.
Sing to him a new song;

play skillfully, and shout for joy.

Psalm 33:3

#17 savage8190

savage8190

• Members
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

It has been 16 months now since I bought this course, and I have had some ups and downs, but I have loved every minute of it. I have always loved music, but now I might go as far as to say that I am obsessed with it. When I'm sleeping I 'm thinking of music. When I'm working, I'm thinking of music. When I'm driving, or washing the dishes...well you get my point. It has gotten to a point where I truly feel that this could maybe be something more for me; maybe I have finally found the calling I have been seeking.

I've been having some personal issues, and one of the major issues for me right now is that I absolutely loathe my job. I have always been a very intelligent and driven person. I have always strived for more. While what I'm doing now may be a great opportunity for some, I find it to be a dead end. With the government they put on this charade where they say you have control...they say you have opportunity. What I have found though is that they discourage forward thinking. They shun new ideas, it's a "we've been doing it this way for 60 years, so why change now" mentality. I just can't take being pushed further and further into what I would consider a completely meaningless existence. Really they just want me to sit in my place, shut up, and push paper. I have to spend a large portion of my life doing a "job", shouldn't it be something that brings some sort of fulfillment, and maybe even some joy.

I have taken an indeterminate period of leave from my job. I'm doing something that some find crazy, others find bold, but for me I am simply following my passion. Its not about money anymore, its time to be happy for once. I have hired a new guitar teacher. He seems like a very good and knowledgeable man. He is the director of the guitar music program for a major university here; I can't even begin to scratch the surface of his knowledge of music. I am diving into music head first...hopefully there is water at the bottom. I've started intensively studying for the Royal Conservatory of Music Exams. Its quite a departure for me given that I am going from playing rock, to classical...oh boy that fingerstyle is going to take some getting used to. My intention with this move is to teach and perform music (music therapy is something I may be intersted in as well). Right now the path is pretty simple; I either get through all the RCM grades and be qualified to teach that, or I work through just enough grades to gain entrance to a university music program.

I had considered doing other things. Teaching in particular has always been a passion for me. But then when faced with job prospects, teaching in the school system here is simply not a viable option. Sure I could go through the motions and get my degree, but with all the cut backs lately, there's no jobs. In fact, I know three teachers who aren't working, and haven't been for some time. No, music is where it's at for me. It might take me 5...or maybe 10 years...and then who knows; maybe I'll want to learn more. But now I feel that I am set on the right path, and it all started with a little bit of perseverance, and Learn and Master Guitar.
"I only get concerned about money when the electricity goes out. Then you have to do acoustic records."

- Slash

#18 savage8190

savage8190

• Members
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:06 PM

Just a quick update. Just had my second lesson last night, we are starting right from scratch so as to eliminate any bad habits and to allow me to get used to the finger-style. My teacher tells me that I am moving about 3 times as fast as his average beginner, so thats a good thing. He seems to think that I will be ready for the university program in 2 years or less. We are aiming to be ready for next August's auditions, but thats a lot to get accomplished. I'm going to try my best, but it will be very difficult/nearly impossible; 2 years is a more realistic goal I think, but we'll see. I guess he knows best seeing as he runs the program I'm trying to get into :). The finger-style is coming along nicely, I'm getting quite used to it now. I'm actually surprised that I am still able to read music quite well too. I haven't really read any standard notation in awhile, but it seems to be coming back to me quickly; I'm glad it was included in L&MG or that would be a real hurdle. I'm also pretty surprised by how much I am enjoying the classical guitar. I find it so relaxing, and combine that with having a very firm path of what I need to do I'm finding that practice is really fun again. I don't feel so frustrated by not knowing if what I'm doing is right.

More updates as they come. I guess it wont be TOO long until I start doing the RCM exams. Ill try and pick up a mic one of these days so I can post some recordings of the repertoire.

- Slash

#19 Reggie

Reggie

• Members
  • 894 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:25 AM

Ben,

I think the direction you're embarking on is commendable, and I wish you the best of luck with it!

I've been learning classical for years now, and am currently working through Grade 8 repertoire. In the first grade, I tried the RCM exams, but decided they weren't worth the cost to me (in excess of $2,500 now if you count all 10 grades, ARCT and theory exams). At that kind of price, I figure I'd rather spend my money on a nice guitar than a few pieces of paper ;)

Of course, if you're aiming to be a teacher, you need to have -something- on your musical resume to bring in students. Having RCM qualifications isn't nearly as important for guitar instruction (even classical) as it is for piano instruction though. There are alternatives - musical degrees, winning competitions, having a professional body of work, etc. I'm not sure that any of those would be any easier or cheaper than getting an ARCT, but it's worth mentioning that it isn't the only route.

As for what's in store for you, I found grades 1-3 were fairly basic, 4-6 started to get quite interesting with some really nice pieces here and there, and grades 7 and on are both rewarding and difficult - a good portion of the music is concert level repertoire. I think with your existing base of guitar knowledge and skills, you'll speed through the first few grades and get to the good stuff in short order. :)

Anyways, good luck again, keep us posted!

Adrien.

#20 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

I'm looking forward to your musical posts and good luck on your quest to mastering fingerstyle guitar. :biggrin:

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent