177 replies to this topic

#21 ShirleyAnn

ShirleyAnn

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

Hi Steve

My magic moment happened this week. Playing the first few bars to Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven - getting my fingers in the right place at the right time and every note ringing clear.

I never in my wildest dreams every imagined I would be able to do this.

Your training material speaks for itself and the support and encouragement I get from the LMG community when the going gets tough is fantastic. I couldn't ask for more.

Many, many thanks Steve for opening the door for me to this wonderful instrument

Take care

#22 krpoin

krpoin

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

Hello Steve,

I purchased L&MG and started the process of learning to play guitar which has been a lifelong dream of mine. I didn't know what to expect even though your product gets the highest reviews on the web. Could a 53 year old boy really learn to play?

My fifteen year old daughter has been going through the lessons with me and it has been a wonderful experience! My daughter and I were playing Ode to Joy together yesterday! While this may seem trivial I realized at that moment that I can learn to play guitar and my relationship with my daughter is forever changed in a wonderful magical way!

Thanks for the best training product I have ever seen! The cognitive benefit for us old people is amazing! Many thanks for bringing friends and families together through the joy of music!

Ken Poindexter
Davidson, NC

#23 Broadus

Broadus

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationClinton, SC, USA

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

What a great thread. Thanks for all the stories shared.

Bill
Bill

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

#24 jrisko

jrisko

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:52 PM

Steve,
My experiences pale in comparison to some of the others I've read, but I decided to submit a post as I want you to know how much you have influenced the musical aspect of my life.

Other than singing in a kids choir, I never learned to play a musical instrument and always regretted that. Finally, at 37 years of age, I decided that if I put it off any more, I'd never do it. So after coming across the ad for the L&M course, I invested in the course and a cheap guitar (that costed less than the course). I progressed steadily, but at a slower pace than the course material laid out (like twice as long). A year into the course, I obtained a slightly better guitar, making practice more enjoyable (I had to press so hard on the strings on the first guitar that my pointer finger went numb doing barre chords). After two and a half years of practice, I did something I've never done before...a solo performance.

Our church had a talent show and I was encouraged to do something. I played and sang 2 songs then attempted to play the Canon in D on my classical guitar (not as successful as the first two songs). This was a HUGE moment in my musical development. I've always been self-conscious about playing and usually only play in my basement by myself. After this performance in front of 60 people, I found new confidence and set my sights higher.

Our church has a band with some very talented and experienced musicians. In January of 2009, I finally felt I could play at a level to keep up and joined the band. I never knew how important it was to skill development to play with other musicians until then. Playing with people that can play by ear (while I can't play anything without a chord sheet in front of me) was frustrating but extremely important in my development.

Another key moment happened one month later. After a huge snow storm, only a handful of us could make it to the service. I was the lone guitar player. The nerves kicked in, but things went fine. It has been 9 months since I joined the band and the confidence is building. It is particularly gratifying to watch other people and see the enjoyment they get from listening to the band. That has made it much more enjoyable for me to play, which really is what playing guitar is all about...enjoyment.

I've played a few pickup gigs with some other, more experienced, players (nothing for money though we were fed dinner once :D ), and being able to finally play the music I've loved to listen to for so long has been a joy in itself. I can honestly say that without your instruction, I would not be at the modest level of skill I am now. I can't thank you enough for this course and the impact it has made in my life. I hope to attend one of your annual get togethers in the future and meet you in person to thank you.

Blessings to you and your family.
John

#25 opie

opie

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationArlington, TX

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:35 PM

About 2 weeks after returning from The Gathering, my dad had a stroke that initially affected only his right side, but then a 2nd stroke took away much of his ability to talk (the connection between what he wanted to say and actually saying things was broken). I spent hours before and after work every day at his hospital room, then at rehab. His condition deteriorated over a couple of weeks, and for a week he hadn't been able to really say anything coherently.

On a Sunday morning in mid July, we were having breakfast in the day room, when a visiting pastor gave a brief sermon, then led everyone to sing "Amazing Grace." I sat in awe as my dad sang not one, but all three verses perfectly.

He was never able to say anything else after that, and he passed away a little over a week later, but I am so thankful to have had that last gift to remember.

#26 JleoLegacy

JleoLegacy

_=||| SGT UBER NEWB |||=_

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:39 PM

Mine has yet to arrive but this Golden Oldie of Perry Como always gave me a lift
from very early age must have been aired a lot.

_john

#27 Jesse

Jesse

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMathews, LA

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:03 PM

I have many special moments with my grandchildren. Every time I see my grand daughter we sing song together. She loves music. Song of the shrimp by Elvis is the one we are singing lately. I sing it a little different from Elvis, I am cajun so I sing it in a cajun - Jamaican style. The times with those kid put a joyous smile on my face. Can't wait till I can play the song on my guitar. I just found the cords to song of the shrimp so I'll start practicing it. I sure would like to have the musical notes to it!!
Christmas time is also a special time for me as I have a Christmas party every year and after the social time is over my wife brakes out the christmas song and we all sing. Those are truly times to remember.
One more really good time for me is after a movie my wife and I were involved in, we had the rap party at our house and Tatum Oneal and Ean Baily ( the stars ) were there and we all had a blast. The party lasted all night. I will post a picture of Tatum, Ean and myself in my picture.
Well, now that i've managed to bore you, I'll just say, hope you have some good times too.
Baz, I am so sorry for the lost of your wife and son. I can't imagine what your going through but it must be horrible. I will keep you in my prayers!!

#28 Lacks Focus

Lacks Focus

• Members
  • 3,027 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:15 AM

So maybe there's hope I can remain cool as a cucumber at next year's student showcase?;)
Craig in Indy

#29 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:38 PM

Craig,

Thanks for sharing. It's amazing at what will trigger the adrenaline and what won't. I can play for a thousand people and it won't hardly raise my heartrate but playing in front of a class of high schoolers (as I will be doing tomorrow) gets me nervous as can be.

Talking to a camera used to be stressful but now it's almost second nature.

- Steve

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

#30 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:35 PM

Liviu,

What a great story! Yes, performing is a real rush. And, you are correct, it's funny how disconnected your own emotions are with the audience sometimes. I know sometimes I will get off stage from playing at church or somewhere else, and I will have felt that it was "an absolutely amazing musical moment" and my wife, will say "Well, I guess it was OK". And other times when I come off of the stage thinking "that was terrible, or at least nothing spectacular" and I'll have people say "that was AMAZING!"

It's happened so much now that it's just a given to me to realize that my own emotions are not necessarily the gauge of the room. I could be totally off.

Keep singing with your son. That's how memories are born.

- Steve

If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com

#31 Lacks Focus

Lacks Focus

• Members
  • 3,027 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:10 PM

Liviu's story reminded me of one actual performance I was involved in, beyond the usual grade-school band concerts. Back in my 20s, my old friend Bob Applegate and his band had a regular weekly gig at a local bar called The Art Gallery. He convinced the management to allow a group of three of us known informally as The Art Gallery Auxiliary Choir to do one number during one of the band's breaks. We did what I'm sure was a pretty shaky rendition of CSN&Y's "Find the Cost of Freedom," the three of us on vocals, along with Bob's guitar accompaniment.

I can't say it really touched anyone in the crowd, nor any of us onstage, in any profound way. If it did, no one told me so. Mostly what I recall about it was how nervous I was, and the amount of adrenaline that it dumped into my blood stream. I was all jitters the rest of the night.
Craig in Indy

#32 LIR

LIR

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • LocationBucharest, Romania

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

Anyone else have a magical musical moment?

Don't be shy.

- Steve

I have 2 moments that I recall. Here they are in chronological order.
1. I was practicing "Banana Boat Song" in lesson 6 LMG. My son (he was 9 years old then) came next to me and started singing along. We practiced for half an hour that song together. That evening we gave a little "concert" for my wife. It was the only time when me playing guitar put a smile on her face. I'm looking forward to the next time.

2. A friend of mine who plays regularly in a club circuit in Romania, invited me to play with his band, as a guest, 3 songs. He initially invited me for my voice but I brought the guitar with me since we had a rehearsal session with me playing guitar and it went OK.
All I remember from my performance was the joy that filled my soul. The lights were in my eyes, I couldn't hear myself very well, but it really didn't mater - I didn't let anyone know that I was playing that night, being afraid that I will stink.
At the end of my first song ("While my guitar gently weeps" cover in a blues-rock manner) I was absolutely stunned to hear (I couldn't see well) the audience "going crazy". Later the band members told me they couldn't believe such reaction, because the song sounded OK-ish, but not by far as great as audience reaction.
When I got off the stage there were many people waiting for me. Now I could see well. All of them were ex-colleagues of mine from a company I used to work for. I had no idea that they were having a company party that night in that club. Whenever I hear "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" I remember the feeling I had when I finished playing that song that night.

Liviu

Keep on rockin' in a free world

Listen to my music: https://soundcloud.com/lir-3

L&MG: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20

#33 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

Anyone else have a magical musical moment?

Don't be shy.

- Steve

SteveKrenz.com

#34 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

Slug,

I'm thrilled to hear about your blues band debut. I hope it went well. Making music is a blast especially with people you enjoy being with.

Let us know how it turned out.

- Steve

SteveKrenz.com

#35 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:16 PM

Well now that I'm back from being gone for a week this was the first thread I wanted to catch up on.

John, thanks for sharing. The way you played at the Gathering this summer it's easy to see how much just the act of learning a solo from a favorite song can spur your own learning.

The time that you spend listening to the recording and frustratingly working through the notes until you get it is time well spent in improving your ear for improvisation and your own soloing.

I look forward to hearing you again.

These little moments of inspiration and setting a little musical goal for yourself are often the beginnings of great things.

- Steve Krenz

SteveKrenz.com

#36 SLUG

SLUG

• Members
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationGeebung, Brisbane, Australia

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

Thats a great post Steve. In an industry & pastime that is full of BS you always speak with a a down to earth wisdom that is a sourse of encouragment & motivation to us all.

I've started playing in a blues band or more acurately a group of like minded people who play Blues. We are playing a concert with 5 other bands next Friday (17th Sept) so hopefully my 'magical' moment is almost upon me; or I may just fall off the stage with my Strat securely fastened to my Amp :lol:

The 'moment' I found L&MG on the net & ordered it was the magical moment my dream of playing guitar began to come true. Hours & hours of hard work behind me and a lifetime of hard work & practice in front of me. Improving as a player is a endless journey with no finish line.

I hope to one day meet you Steve & be able to say "Thanks" but if that never happens then please know that I am eternally grateful & endebted to you for helping me realise a lifes goal.
Learning Guitar is not a matter of life or death, it is much more important than that!

#37 FloydFanatic

FloydFanatic

Bendaholics Anonymous

• Members
  • 3,092 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:24 PM

Well, I can't compete with Steve's moments, pretty special stuff there. But I'll try to remember moments that were magical for me.

I guess my moment was about 4 years ago. Not a performance, but a divergence point in my life. I was in my basement listening to music and probably wasting time surfing the net. Stairway to Heaven came on and when the solo hit, I had an epiphany. I learned the basics of Stairway when I was in 6th grade, but never the solo. Any solo parts I knew at that point (and the playing was very weak) I had taught myself from TABs, and they were fairly simple songs, and short.

Anyway, I told myself "I'm going to learn this song start to finish!" And I did (it took about 3 months to play it relatively clean). That was the match that lit the music bug fuse in me. Less than 6 months later I bought LMG and while I haven't done the course how most new players have, the things I learned have bolstered my efforts to make me better and better, AND given me fuel to keep progressing.

Now I'll never stop learning and practice isn't a chore - it's now a pleasure.

8)
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you'll find
Ten years have gone behind you
No one told you when to run
You've missed the starting gun

#38 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:52 AM

Richard and Greg,

Thanks for sharing. It's amazing how life can take twists and turns but certain things remain meaningful.

Music matters.

Thank you both.

- Steve

SteveKrenz.com

#39 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

Welcome :D

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Guest Password is JelloManKent
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/
Guest Password is JelloManKent

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#40 andrew

andrew

Advanced member

• Members
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta Canada

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:46 AM

I honestly cannot point to a single time as my musical moment as I find when life is getting to me if I listen to music it helps me keep my perspective and balance.Some people here have gone through HELL and some several times I am so impressed and humbled that you have the courage to share with the rest of us your personel struggles and challenges and how music has helped.Thanks so much for sharing as this too keeps me centered and makes me realize how much I have been given and it helps me to not complain so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users