• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Ascoli

Ascoli

• Members
  • 837 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

Well I remember at last years Gathering, there were plenty of guitars that were brought specifically for anyone to play. They even had sticky notes that said, "play me" on them. And they were decent guitars too. So I'm sure you'll be fine if you can't bring your own.

I think some of those guitars where Ascolies and were for sale but I could be wrong, my memories not as good as it used to be, but then it could have been all the Beer in Nashville. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, Adele you are correct. Those were my guitars and they were guitars I was selling, but I didn't push them, just put them out and let people play them. If they found a player who wanted them I would have been glad to sell them. They all made the trip back home with me and have since found players to keep them busy. If I make the gathering in '11 I don't think I'll be taking extra guitars.

Steve
"To play without passion is inexcusable." - Beethoven

#2 Don in E Texas

Don in E Texas

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGilmer, TX

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

Thanks, Floyd and Adele - great comments.

...did someone say beer? They do have some wonderful brewpubs in Nashville (or did on my last visit). Great food as well..... I'm a home brewer (another of my vices).

Jam. Floyd, you touched on something I can relate to. I attended a 5 day Harmonica Jam Camp --- I did not play solo at any time except the last night. I finally got up the nerve to play along with the band (Bass, Drum, Lead Guitar). After my playing, all three band members got up and shook my hand!!

Gotta get up and go for it.....

Thanks again for the wise words.

don
Piano Course: Lesson 16
Guitar Course: Lesson 3
Life's Course: Lesson 75

#3 FloydFanatic

FloydFanatic

Bendaholics Anonymous

• Members
  • 3,092 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

Been following the program now for about 6 weeks, on session 5.

Everyone here seems really nice and this guitar camp seems like a lot of fun.

I've had a guitar for 22yrs and can play rythm to almost anything, but now want to pick and play some lead, so bought the program and I'm committed.

Steve is very good in taking it step by step.

Anyhow, I'm trying to convince my brother in-law for us to make the trip from Ottawa Ontario to Nashville and have fun at this camp.

Maybe see Keith Urban!!!

I can guarantee you that if you come, you will get plenty of opportunity to play leads and the experience WILL make you a better lead player. You just have to seize the opportunities and not shy away from jumping in when you see people playing in the jam room.

I plan on spending a bunch more time in the jam room this year. Last year it was hit and miss, but I think a lot of those that were shy about jamming last year have seen the light and will be willing to let it all hang out this year (I gave them a tongue lashing for being wusses :P ).

Just remember this: We ALL were beginners at one point. And we ALL are willing to play with someone who is behind us in ability. Because that is the best way that we can contribute to the whole community getting better.
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you'll find
Ten years have gone behind you
No one told you when to run
You've missed the starting gun

#4 Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady

• Members
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, Scotland

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:15 AM

Well I remember at last years Gathering, there were plenty of guitars that were brought specifically for anyone to play. They even had sticky notes that said, "play me" on them. And they were decent guitars too. So I'm sure you'll be fine if you can't bring your own.

I think some of those guitars where Ascolies and were for sale but I could be wrong, my memories not as good as it used to be, but then it could have been all the Beer in Nashville. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Adele

"Fear is that little room where negatives are developed" - Michael Pritchard

Finished the course and now teach it.

http://www.reverbnat...om/celticshadow

http://www.reverbnat...x/artist_412374

#5 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:09 AM

Welcome :D

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Guest Password is JelloManKent
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/
Guest Password is JelloManKent

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#6 intrawebs

intrawebs

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:58 AM

Been following the program now for about 6 weeks, on session 5.

Everyone here seems really nice and this guitar camp seems like a lot of fun.

I've had a guitar for 22yrs and can play rythm to almost anything, but now want to pick and play some lead, so bought the program and I'm committed.

Steve is very good in taking it step by step.

Anyhow, I'm trying to convince my brother in-law for us to make the trip from Ottawa Ontario to Nashville and have fun at this camp.

Maybe see Keith Urban!!!

#7 Foot tapper

Foot tapper

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

#8 rszoke

rszoke

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

I certainly hope to make it this year, with avoidance of any back injuries. Wife would be coming with me also.

Wayne, have you thougth of just asking if someone who is driving could bring a spare guitar for you? Probably a whole lot safer < and cheaper> then shipping yours.

#9 Foot tapper

Foot tapper

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:01 PM

Awesome!!! Can't wait! Downtown and a hot breakfast will be great!

#10 k9kaos

k9kaos

• Validating
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:07 AM

Brian,

What a great coincidence!! We are looking in Maryville!

It seems to be such a nice area! Can't wait till we can check it out some more in October!

The added bonus would be the short trip to the Gathering! :D

I'm really hoping things go smoothly and I'll be able to make it!
Everyone cross your fingers (except when you're trying to practice though :shock: :lol: )

Barbara

I wish reality had a distortion pedal.... :)

1933 Gibson L-OO 

Martin Custom X Series (my favorite)

Ibanez Acoustic Electric

Gibson Les Paul Studio 

Fender Strat (MiM)

Epiphone P-90 Riviera

TK O'Brien Mountain Dulcimer

Johnson JB-100 Banjo

Eddy Finn Ukelele

Words of wisdom from a dear friend:  "Fear is that little room where negatives are developed" - Michael Pritchard

#11 PepVol

PepVol

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLenoir City TN

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

Check out Maryville / Alcoa area . I grew up in Maryville , only 20 min to Knoxville , the Airport is right there , the Mountains , lakes are right there , plus the Schools are rated at the very top in the State . Beautiful Area , I've seen Maryville make top 10 lists as far as Attractive small communities to raise a family . Good luck !!
Brian

#12 k9kaos

k9kaos

• Validating
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:01 AM

Eddie, it was great meeting you at the Gathering this year!

Still very unsure of the European Gathering. If timing allows, I'd absolutely love to go!!! :D
If we're still in NY, I can't make the Nashville Gathering due to work (new residents come in at the end of June as you know... lots of work on the education side!)

Congrats on the new position in the hospital! :D

Brian,

We are looking forward to the move!!!
We are planning a 'fact-finding' mission in October to check out some of the area and potential homes and neighborhoods.
Stopped in the area after the 2008 gathering and it is wonderful!

Any input / advice you have is appreciated!! :D

Barbara

1933 Gibson L-OO 

Ibanez Acoustic Electric

Gibson Les Paul Studio 

Fender Strat (MiM)

Epiphone P-90 Riviera

Johnson JB-100 Banjo

Eddy Finn Ukelele

Words of wisdom from a dear friend:  "Fear is that little room where negatives are developed" - Michael Pritchard

#13 PepVol

PepVol

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLenoir City TN

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:13 PM

Well , welcome to the neighborhood Barbara !! I've lived in East Tennessee my whole life , and I still enjoy taking drives up to the Smoky Mountains .
Brian

#14 Eddie N

Eddie N

• Members
  • 1,870 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:44 AM

Knoxville, we'll be neighbors... almost.

I enjoyed meeting you at the gathering. I hope it works out for you to be there again next year. Any chance of you attending the Europe gathering?

My wife & I have talked about it, but I start a new position in the hospital, which will make it a bit more difficult to take off more than a week...can't go to Europe for just a week....
Sing to him a new song;

play skillfully, and shout for joy.

Psalm 33:3

#15 k9kaos

k9kaos

• Validating
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:32 AM

I'd like to try to come to the gathering again! :D

Had a great time in 2008, and again in 2010!!! :D :D

We are in the middle of putting our house up for sale though.....
If I'm still in NYC, I'll definitely have to work that weekend :(

But.... if we've already made our move (to the Knoxville area), I'll only have a 2 or 3 hour drive!!! :D :D

Barbara

1933 Gibson L-OO 

Ibanez Acoustic Electric

Gibson Les Paul Studio 

Fender Strat (MiM)

Epiphone P-90 Riviera

Johnson JB-100 Banjo

Eddy Finn Ukelele

#16 Queen TinkerBelle

Queen TinkerBelle

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:48 AM

:lol:

I've almost got the wife talked into coming. If I succeed, you gotta bring yours too as promised. :)

:roll:
I AM GOING..SO MICK YOUR LADY BETTER BE COMING TOO! LOL!

#17 kdkoadd

kdkoadd

Mick

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

I've almost got the wife talked into coming. If I succeed, you gotta bring yours too as promised. :)

Ok Mick,
The wife is coming, how about yours?

Most definitely maybe :)

She seemed fairly receptive, especially when I said your wife was likely coming and they could sight-see/shop/whatever. I'll tell her your wife is in, and see if I can get her to commit.
Waiting on my hands to catch up with my aspirations...

Listen To My Music

Jazz Chords

#18 JoeD

JoeD

Fat Fingers

• Members
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:55 AM

Ok Mick,
The wife is coming, how about yours?
Fat Fingers Joe

#19 FloydFanatic

FloydFanatic

Bendaholics Anonymous

• Members
  • 3,092 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:28 PM

Wayne,

I don't know how valuable your guitar is, but in my personal opinion, I'd never ship my guitar if I didn't have to. Ever. If something happened in transit (and yeah, they don't exactly treat em with kid gloves. Shipped stuff is routinely thrown around and drops off conveyor belts, etc etc.), I would be out a guitar that is irreplaceable (1979).

If your guitar is an average off the shelf model, then by all means insure it and ship it. But if it's worth more than $500, or unique in some way, I wouldn't advise shipping it. Of course, this is JUST my personal opinion.

There are plenty of people there that bring extra axes (Steve brought 4-5 iirc). So, unless you're tied to your guitar the way I am, I would suggest just using someone else's. In fact, I have a spare that I could bring in my car if you want to use it. It's just a MIM strat, but it works.
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you'll find
Ten years have gone behind you
No one told you when to run
You've missed the starting gun

#20 wbrisett

wbrisett

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

I agree with Lacks Focus, You could always get a case with backpack shoulder straps and bring it with you.

I actually found one that's TSA approved (has TSA locks) that I can ship, so I'm good. Now to make sure I can steer the family to Nashville for our summer vacation. ;-)

Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users