Still in Session 4 . . .

Posted by Blueser100, in Practice & Progress Blog 21 January 2012 · 242 views

I am taking things slowly. I had a very good practice session today, much better than yesterday's. Yesterday I tried to rush and cram in a 1/2 practice before getting ready for work. On three cups of coffee. Not good. Lots of misfires on things I could play perfectly. I notice that if my mind wanders momentarily away from the notes on the page, I mess up.

Today I planned my routine better and took an hour. I played "Minuet in C" 4x w/o misfiring and could play along on the CD fast version. Yippee! Then I practiced "Simple Gifts" w/o the metronome and couldn't get the timing right. So I set the nome to 60 bpm with the red light on the 1 beat and finally got it. Played it 3x through almost perfectly! My pinky stretch to the F# is getting stronger too, and I gave extra practice time to the Sharps and Flats exercise as well. Still can't do that one without looking at the tab though.

Onward!

It's good to hear you're doing well! I haven't practiced in a couple of days now and feel really bad for it.. Need to make myself practice before I work, even if that means getting up early.

I haven't actually played along to the CD's properly yet. Do you find they have helped you out a lot with timing? I'm on session 3, almost session 4. Need to do a couple more hours on notes on the four strings and then I'm moving onwards :)

Hope you have a good week, and good luck with your practice!
Hi Josh,
Yes definitely I feel playing along with the jam tracks has helped with my timing. Sometimes just practicing the songs w/ the metronome is sort of isolating. The jam tracks have inspired me because it feels like I am playing with other musicians. As someone who has played with others in local beginner jams, I cannot place a value on playing with others.

October 2014

S M T W T F S
1920 21 22232425

Recent Entries

Recent Comments