Line 6 Spider Jam altenatives

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 23jim

23jim

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:59 AM

Does anyone have a Line 6 Spider Jam amp? I have not tried one yet, but demos look really cool. I know it is a few years old so maybe there are other amps that have similar capabilities including jam tracks, modeling, etc. Anybody have any other similar amp suggestions that might be cheaper?
Jim

Learn & Master Guitar Session: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Yamaha Acoustic FG 340
Fender Strat Japan circa 1987
Epiphone Spirit II circa Kalamazoo, MI 1982
Roland Cube 40XL

#2 CenCalPlayer

CenCalPlayer

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:38 AM

They are okay....the new Fender G Decs are better IMO...not the old G Decs, they sucked, the new versions

#3 Kurrykid

Kurrykid

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

I love my SpiderJam...it sounds good to me :electricguitar: With the looper, the drums, and all the effects, it can keep you pretty motivated for a while.
Dave

#4 sumo808

sumo808

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:43 AM

HI, I have a Spider Jam. It's a great combo amp, and I really like it. Honestly tho... if I would could do it over. I would get the g dec. Line 6 seems to have moved on from the Jam. They stated you would be able to download tones from their website( can't). The section that they posted that in is gone. Besides the misleading claims, i do like my Spider Jam.

#5 metfoo

metfoo

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

i have a spider iv 75 and a pod hd 500. The spider is nice, but its overkill for my apartment. I usually find myself using headphones with it because of that. The effects are based off of the previos generation pods.

Both amps are solid state. Line 6 is known for their modeling, where as fender is known more for their tube amps. I considered the Gdec, and am glad I went line 6 instead. I cretaed logins for each community to see what types of tones are out there. I found Line 6 had more to offer.

I really wanted a spider jam so I could use a drum looper, but as mentioned above, line 6 kinda dropped the ball on that one. The current Jam is based off the spider III and the new spider IV jam seems to be vaporware.

#6 CenCalPlayer

CenCalPlayer

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

i have a spider iv 75 and a pod hd 500. The spider is nice, but its overkill for my apartment. I usually find myself using headphones with it because of that. The effects are based off of the previos generation pods.

Both amps are solid state. Line 6 is known for their modeling, where as fender is known more for their tube amps. I considered the Gdec, and am glad I went line 6 instead. I cretaed logins for each community to see what types of tones are out there. I found Line 6 had more to offer.

I really wanted a spider jam so I could use a drum looper, but as mentioned above, line 6 kinda dropped the ball on that one. The current Jam is based off the spider III and the new spider IV jam seems to be vaporware.

Comparing a G Dec to a HD500 is like comparing a house cat to an African lion....two different animals completely. The G Dec is a home player/student/noodling machine whle the HD500 is an entry level professional piece of equipment. The G Dec and the JamMan are in the same category. The old G Decs were terrible and the JamMan was the machine of choice, however the new G Dec is very nicely done, though a bit over priced IMO, and takes the brass ring as of now. Now, take a HD500 and add in the G Dec's expandability to play with backing tracks, etc. and Line 6 would be light years ahead of Fender....

#7 metfoo

metfoo

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

Comparing a G Dec to a HD500 is like comparing a house cat to an African lion....two different animals completely. The G Dec is a home player/student/noodling machine whle the HD500 is an entry level professional piece of equipment. The G Dec and the JamMan are in the same category. The old G Decs were terrible and the JamMan was the machine of choice, however the new G Dec is very nicely done, though a bit over priced IMO, and takes the brass ring as of now. Now, take a HD500 and add in the G Dec's expandability to play with backing tracks, etc. and Line 6 would be light years ahead of Fender....

I was comparing my spider to the gdec. The spider effects are based off the previous gen pod's, not the hd lineup. I have both the spider and the hd 500, which is the very first thing i wrote.

#8 CenCalPlayer

CenCalPlayer

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:36 AM

I was comparing my spider to the gdec. The spider effects are based off the previous gen pod's, not the hd lineup. I have both the spider and the hd 500, which is the very first thing i wrote.

Sorry, misread which you Line6 you were comparing to GDec....thought you were comparing the HD500, which is a killer unit and smokes the GDec all day long. Not a fan of the spyder amps in general as I'm a tube guy. To me the GDec is versatile for practicing, learning and noodling around, that's what it's designed for, where your 75 watt spyder amp is a solid state amp designed for playing out with others...two different design goals with the two units. Still would take the HD500 over both of those two put together though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users