• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 skate8

skate8

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationSeymour, Tennessee

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:10 AM

Do you own one or played around with one? I don't like the sound from the stock speakers but it has RCA jacks for plug into external stereo system or studio speakers. Have you done this and do you like the sound? I'm thinking of buying one....thanks Skate.
Completed L&MG Course May 14, 2008.....

Soloing With Color Lessons

#2 Gsnow

Gsnow

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:21 AM

I have one! I didn't get it for the sound! I got it for all of the stuff it can do! But plugged I'n to a bigger am it sound pretty darn good! I love mine! It is my go to amp for practice, and learning new songs. And it perfect to play I'n the house. Heak A guy I play with uses his for backing tracks and effects. Through a pa. For his gigs at a local restraint he plays at. It is s great learning tool IMO. I use it more than all of my other amps. I even tote it with me to my lessions. So I can use the tracks on it or so my teacher can help me learn a new song I want to learn! I love the thing!

#3 skate8

skate8

• Members
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

Gsnow....thanks for the reply. I know all the features it has are great, my only question was if sent to a outside speaker system or PA like you said is the sound good? I heard of others using there PA systems and love it. I guess it will be on my list to buy. I also do much of my playing at home. Once in awhile I'll go to the local studio when it's not busy. I know the owner makes it nice to use real equipment now and then.

#4 SLUG

SLUG

• Members
  • 2,169 posts
  • LocationGeebung, Brisbane, Australia

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

I had one of these. They are quite good as a practice tool but agree the onboard speakers are not that good. I ended up selling it in preference to the Fender G-Dec as a practice amp & tool.

The beauty of the Boss unit is its portability but falls well short as a guitar amp. The output can be run through an amp but if you going to do that may as well just get a purpose built practice / jamming amp, like the G-Dec, IMO.
Learning Guitar is not a matter of life or death, it is much more important than that!

#5 skate8

skate8

• Members
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:01 AM

Thanks....Slug my other question was recording?.....How do the recordings sound? I'm using Ampitube 3 the full older version it's OK if I mix it in another software program after finished. Like I said I play mostly at home with a headset on. I rarely use my amps at all.

#6 SLUG

SLUG

• Members
  • 2,169 posts
  • LocationGeebung, Brisbane, Australia

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

Sorry, got nothing for you on the recording quality Mate. I use a Zoom H2 recorder, which is a basic way to record stuff by placing it in front of the amp but I mainly record to monitor my playing or to record backing tracks with specific progressions in certain keys I want to practice soloing over.

Bloke I play with, mixes our stuff on his system. I ask him what he uses & get back to you.

I'm in Canberra this week with work & didn't bring a guitar, so I'm having guitar withdrawal issues at the moment. Should not have gone 'cold turkey' :blushing:
Learning Guitar is not a matter of life or death, it is much more important than that!

#7 gotto

gotto

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  • Locationsouthwest, wa.

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

I have owned one since they first were introduced. It is my "bandmates" so to speak. I use it at every practice session and use either my Bose headphones or run through my powered M-Audio speakers. It sounds very good through both.This generates a stereo output vrs. running through my little digital Vox Mini2 amp. Adapter cables for this were purchased at Radio Shack. I haven't figured out how to convert recordings to my Macbook-no SD card slot. I probably could run it through my Zoom H4 as an audio interface and use its settings for recording in Garage Band but I've only dabbled in the recording feature in the Boss unit. I'm certain there is a way but I'm too technically deficient to figure it out. You can create your own signal setup-amps, pedals etc and create a preset, all Boss-like but I've only tinkered with this feature. I probably under-use the unit regarding all of its features but I have certainly got my money's worth out of it just as a practice vehicle, although it is a spendy package. I even take it with me sometimes on my trips-relatively portable. Another nice feature, with the SD card or additional cards you can upload songs, backing tracks etc to add to your song playlist-unlimited fun for me.

Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users