Rock Prodigy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Reggie

Reggie

• Members
  • 894 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

There's a cool new iOS app out called Rock Prodigy. It could be compared to Guitar Hero and Rock Band, except that you play with a real guitar, play with the real notes, and the screen shows TAB. Every note you play is part of the song, it's just that in easier modes, you play less of the notes. When you miss a note, the guitar cuts out, and when you get it right, there is a configuration option for whether you only hear the notes you're actually playing, or the entire guitar part. You can use it in performance mode, which is like a game and you get scored (and there is an online leader board and whatnot), or practice mode, when you can choose to have the game pause until you get a note right.

The app is free, but there is a premium in app purchase to unlock features, and you have to pay per song ($3 for modern songs, $1 for tutorials and classical songs). I've tried out the demo song it comes with and I think it's really well done. I'll probably purchase a song or two and decide whether I like it enough to get the premium pack. Here's their website:

http://www.rockprodigy.com/

If you want to use a game like this to help learn guitar, I think this is much better than Guitar Hero and the older Rock Band games. I even think it has an edge over the new Rock Band 3 in pro mode. Rock Band 3 uses a vertical fretboard with a proprietary fret notation system, whereas Rock Prodigy just uses scrolling TAB. Also, you can use your existing guitar, and you pay $3 per song you want, rather than $50 for a collection you may or may not care for. On the downside, it's still a very new app, and it will take a while for their music library to grow. Hopefully it is successful, and we see a lot of app updates, new songs, etc.

Adrien.

#2 rawtalent

rawtalent

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

I have this app and have bought around 10 songs. Well worth it and fantastic tool. From beginner to advanced, there is something there for all. I'd say it's worth buying an iPad for. It's that good. In conjunction with Learn & Master, it's a no brainer. You will see actual vast improvement within a couple of days. Can't rate it highly enough.

#3 Daudr

Daudr

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

If you like this app, I would highly recommend you take a look at Rocksmith (you need a Xbox 360 or a PS3). It is simply amazing and comes with 50 songs with even more via downloadable content.

Rocksmith site

#4 WannaPlay

WannaPlay

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationPrince William County (Manassas), Virginia, USA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

Very cool. I added it to my iTunes wishlist. It is available for both iPhone and iPad, but I don't think I would want to use it on my iPhone's small screen.

"You see, we are here, as far as I can tell, to help each other; our brothers, our sisters, our friends, our enemies. That is to help each other and not hurt each other."
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Don't aim for perfection.  Aim for progress."

- Unknown

#5 rawtalent

rawtalent

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:26 AM

Hey Daudr

I heard about this. Read some reviews. It's not available for us Australian or even EU users yet. It may be released for PC as well come June 2012. Lucky US and Canada so far.

To compare both though, and IMO, I have read that Rock Prodigy has a better song list and is relatively bug free. PS3 and Xbox users have reported problems so far. I will still buy it once it is released on PC though.

In the meantime, Rock Prodigy looks to be the better choice if you have an iOS device. Preferably an iPad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users