VHT Special 6 Tube Amplifier
Fender Mustang 1 Amplifier

#22 Herzog

Herzog

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

James,

Great to hear you are still enjoying the course material, and it sounds like you are moving right along. I'm interested to know how you would classify your playing ability right now, since you stated you had no experience before starting this course. Have you you ventured out to play in any social settings, or maybe jam with other guitarists? If so, how did you rate yourself?

cheers,

Herzog
Currently in Session 00001010

#23 James Hartley

James Hartley

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBurnley, UK

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

James,

Great to hear you are still enjoying the course material, and it sounds like you are moving right along. I'm interested to know how you would classify your playing ability right now, since you stated you had no experience before starting this course. Have you you ventured out to play in any social settings, or maybe jam with other guitarists? If so, how did you rate yourself?

cheers,

Herzog

Loving the course! Really am. Its amazing how far I feel to have come along when I look back, though there are times I still feel like I haven't come that far either, especially when think how far where yet to go!!
As for my actual playing, that's hard to answer. I have concentrated on learning TOO play, rather than learning too PLAY, if that makes sense. My Father can play the guitar and he rates my ability far higher than I do, as I know more chords and theory than he does. However, he can play bits of songs, and melodies better than I, as I haven't up to now ever sat down too play anything other than course material as set down by Steve. This has been a conscious decision by me, to get to grips with the basics. I recently got hold of my Song Hits copy, and this has been the first time I have sat down to look at playing anything anyone would want to hear. Over the last few weeks, and have been looking at a few of the different tracks and the like, I have been able to start putting the stuff together to form actual MUSIC, I feel I am almost at the stage where yes, I could, with the right piece of tune, sit down and jam along. Infact have talked about doing just this with my Dad, with some of the songs from the course. As I am able to about do this now.
I hope this in some way helps answer your question. I feel I have taken a slightly roundabout route in terms of deliberating holding off learning some songs, and maybe to the detriment of myself,but I feel like for me, it was the right way to go!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
L&M Blues Guitar 1 2 3
Epiphone Les Paul special II
Breedlove AC250-CR

#24 James Hartley

James Hartley

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBurnley, UK

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

Well it must be that time of the year, where I should do an update. Even if its only just for my own reflection. It is now about the 2 year mark from getting a guitar, and getting the course. Well near enough anyway, and I do feel I have come a long way. I am at session 13 on the main course!! I still pick my guitar pretty much every day ( I even take it with me to work and try to get some time there, especially on my night shifts!! ) . Even if it is only for a short session, I do always try and spend some time with it. Admittedly I sometimes spend more time messing, and playing with it, than a more structured approach. I can get easily distracted while having the best intentions of sitting down and practicing the pentatonic forms, then maybe diverging a little, and rather than just playing them I get a "oh that sounds good, what can I do if I add a little twiddly bit here" kind of thing and see how that sounds. The same can be said a lot on the theory aspect. I have all the best intentions to sit down and learn it all, but I then end up messing with the guitar rather than doing. However, I am getting there slowly, and I have found that the further I go, and see how the theory works practically and I can then put it to use. A massive example that helped was the blues session, getting to grips with the notes, and the 12 bar blues progression of the I, IV and the V chord. So while I don't feel my theory is as far on as I like, I am working on it still, and it is coming, and I am getting there. What I have been most pleased about is getting the Learn and Master Blues course this Christmas. I was asked last year by my parents if I wanted it, but I declined then, as I didn't think my playing was far enough along to get the most of it. I had read on here, what kind of level was aimed at, and rather than get overly frustrated, I figured I had enough to be learning as it was. Anyway, this year I got it, and last few days I have been dong the first session, and it has gone brilliantly. I am able to do the first lesson!! I know all the chord shapes, I can play them all, and I can follow the theory, so this has put a huge smile on my face, and I am very excited to move on to session 2. As being able to play the Blues, has always been one of my main goals with learning to play the guitar ! As for what the future holds, still no burning desire to be able to do anything other than play, I am in no rush, and take it at my own leisurely pace, I am still enjoying it, I still love just picking my guitar up and practicing/playing/messing. I will no doubt take a ( possible substantial) break from the main course, while I do more on the blues course stuff, but I am ok with this. Learning is learning, and time spent practicing ( even if not always the most focused of practice) is still better than nothing, I am having fun, and very much enjoying the whole experience, and just enjoying the journey. For anyone thinking about doing this, I would say stop thinking, buy the course, and get on with it. You will NOT be disappointed !!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
L&M Blues Guitar 1 2 3
Epiphone Les Paul special II
Breedlove AC250-CR

#25 Stefan.Chr

Stefan.Chr

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationPolska, Krak√≥w

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for sharing that! It's an inspiration to keep it up.

LMG: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

strumming ex. at 80-90-100 | notes in 5th position | diatonic intervals | harmonic intervals | S-M-F La Bamba | S-M-F The Wabash Cannonball | S-M-F Blues in E | Jewel - Who Will Save Your Soul | Eddie Vadder - Society | Amy MacDonald - This Is The Life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users