10 replies to this topic

#1 Larry Thomas

Larry Thomas

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationPark Ridge, Illinois

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:33 AM

Hello,

I thought I'd share my way of remembering the order of appearance of sharps and flats in key signatures:

The order of sharps is F# C# G# D# A# E# (B#)
I remember this by using a mnemonic:
Fried
Chicken
Goes
Down
After
Every
Bite

The order of flats is Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Cb (Fb)

BEAD GCF
or BEAD Greatest Common Factor

Hope this helps...

Larry
L&M Guitar session |: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 :| (repeat until fade!)
Pat Metheny Etudes: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
---
I only play USA made guitars...
all the others are only good for smashing...
---

#2 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationFar South Coast, NSW, Australia

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

Hello,

I thought I'd share my way of remembering the order of appearance of sharps and flats in key signatures:

The order of sharps is F# C# G# D# A# E# (B#)
Fried
Chicken
Goes
Down
After
Every
Bite

The order of flats is Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Cb (Fb)

BEAD GCF
or BEAD Greatest Common Factor

Hope this helps...

Larry

Here's mine
Sharps...Fat Cats Get Donuts At Every Breakfast
Flats...Billy Elliot Admits Dancing Guys Can't Fight

#3 DONAL

DONAL

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

The second one can be the first backwards, that way you only have one set of mnemonics to remember? That is what I am trying, and the incremental number of flats or sharps is same sequence, I was really struggling until my old brain saw both of those. But I do like the Fat Cats Get Donuts at Every Breakfast one.
Allen D Rude

#4 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:24 AM

Fat Cats Go Down Alley Endings Boldly Fighting, and BEAD Games... but hey, whatever helps.

I have a more important question for anyone who has lived through this already. What is the secret for the more intensive memorization of the set of notes for all of the major scales?

thx

#5 JWELLS

JWELLS

• Members
  • 5,828 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, Maryland USA

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

Great ideas, but why bother? Just get a copy of JoeD's Circle of Fifths, and just glance at it when you have a question. Eventually you'll absorb it. Lotsa luck.
Dreams alone won't go very far; Perfect practice will make you a star.

#6 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,865 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

I prefer this one

Father Charlie Goes Down And Ends Battle

Why do I prefer it? Because you can revers it to get the order of the flats

Battle Ends And Down Goes Charlie's Father

#7 cajabu

cajabu

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:46 AM

jim h asked:

I have a more important question for anyone who has lived through this already. What is the secret for the more intensive memorization of the set of notes for all of the major scales?

hi jim, the lightbulb moment for me was realizing that the BEADGCF pattern of notes repeats within the pattern of scales....

to see it more clearly, fill in the major table scale worksheet on page 61.

now once you have that done, if we start from the bottom (for this purpose of illustration), write the letters BEADGC outside the table, left hand side, next to the scale of G. on the right of the table, write F#.

on the left of the table next to scale of D, write BEADG, which means that now on the right we have F# C#

above that....is of course BEAD left of A scale, F# C# G# right of A scale.

as you continue writing in this pattern all the way up to the top of the page on both sides of the table from natural to flat notation on the left and sharp to natural notation on the right, the pattern becomes clear....at the top of the page scale of F you will have written Bb on the left and FCGDAE on the right if you did this correctly.

visually seeing this pattern repeated and written out in this linear way made all of the notes of each scale really easy for me to finally memorize, (tho of course not in proper order for playing) hope it helps you too.

edit after a sleepless night: i lay there thinking......if this were a good way of teaching scales, then it would be taught this way to begin with. i didn't stress enough that it's still extremely important to remember scales in the correct order of the notes, as you absolutely need to know your scales solidly, not only for playing, but for more advanced music theory later on...such as how to determine the the quality of intervals and how to build chords.

#8 EMinor13

EMinor13

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

You know something I noticed about the order is that if you break it into pairs you can just increment each note in the pair to get the next pair.

Order of sharpes example:
F C
increament both and you get
G D
one more time
A E

Same difference for flats just decrement instead.

Funky Chickens Grope Dogs And Elephants F#
S 13-14

May your bends always be to pitch.

#9 DONAL

DONAL

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

There is an additional method to aide in memorization of the keys and scales based on a simple numbering scheme and standard music theory for scale structure; Using the Major Key and Scales in the Bonus material on page 70
We must start with our first Major Key: C
Key
C: 0 Count 2 in the scale D E

F: is next Key Count 2 (G A) ( Remember that in the Flatted Key’s there is only one Key without a ‘b’ On the Key, the reverse is true in the Sharp Key Signatures where F is the only Key with the # on it

Bb is next count 2 C D

Eb Count 2 (F, G)

Ab: Count 2(B, C)

Db: Count 2 (E, F)

Gb: Last Key Signature in Flatted Scales

Now

Start with our ending Key Signature above without the Flat

Key

G: Count 3 (A, B, C)

D: Count 3 (E, F, G)

A: Count 3 (B, C, D)

E: Count 3 (F, G, A)

B: Count 3 (C, D, E)

F#: (Remember our F Rule for Sharp Key Signatures , add #)

This of course is a way to not memorize the Key’s using some catchy phrase or if you are using one to memorize the order of the Keys; the scales themselves can be derived from the Key signature as can the previous and next major scale. (this again uses the Major Keys and Scales on Page 70 of the bonus material.)

We know that the Key itself allows you to construct the Scale using the Key as the 1st and last notes and our WWHWWWH process already learned.

Ways to simplify this process will be gratefully incorporated.

Allen D Rude

#10 DONAL

DONAL

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

Here is a great aide to have at your side, or on your wrist!, I did not know this was that big of an issue to require a company to fire up manufacturing for these product:s!

http://www.chromatic...com/fifths.html
they even have a wall model. LMAO

The circle of 5ths is a good aid, as is the Chord Wheel, I picked it up at Guitar Center 2 days ago, I started using it immediatly it is a good tool
Allen D Rude

#11 Dennis G

Dennis G

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationHuntington Beach, CA

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:30 PM

I prefer this one

Father Charlie Goes Down And Ends Battle

Why do I prefer it? Because you can revers it to get the order of the flats

Battle Ends And Down Goes Charlie's Father

+1. That's about as simple as it gets.
Dennis

-----------------------

You can't have too much horsepower or too many guitars!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users