Jerry Wyatt

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tsherkin

tsherkin

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

Latest lesson from Jerry came out. He continues to build upon what he's already shown, which are some cool basic ideas and licks/riffs.

He's funny whenever he gets into one of his rants about not playing scales up and down in an actual song.

So I'm at the fourth lesson now, and the stuff we're playing is actually sounding really cool. I don't know what else to say, but so far, it's panning out. The concepts are really neat, his style is cool and he's funny.
Completed the course!! July 12th, 2010

Check out my blog: http://community.leg...om/blogs/warrax

#2 tsherkin

tsherkin

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

Coolness... this continues to be awesome.

It's definitely different and more focused than Steve's stuff, though; my recommendation is 100% to do LMG first, or at least a good chunk of it, but the way Jerry teaches does help to clear up some confusing things. He's got some good coordination exercises and a fairly neat way of opening up the pentatonic and blues scales so far (and it's actually a different blues scale than we're used to, it adds a B note on the E strings and an F# on the B string, so that it's almost a 3-note-per-string scale... I tend to add the D sharp on the G string as well, because it's from our blues scale and sounds good) and shows you how to do some cool, simple things as foundations for building other stuff that doesn't just sound like going up and down the scale.

Apparently, the course is 24 weeks long, with a new lesson coming out each week, so that should be cool. I'm still at the basic "Bridge" course and the first lesson, but that's cool because I'm still going over what's in there. The exercises do help, I'm finding.

I suppose that's it for now without rambling; the next video comes out (for me, they're time-released based on when you join) in a few days, so I will let you know what happens then.

#3 tsherkin

tsherkin

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

Actually, come to think of it, what I've been gleaning from Jerry Wyatt is kind of similar to that. It's not a comprehensive approach to playing guitar the way LMG is, but rather a way to expand upon existing playing and really open up your ability to play by ear and feel. It does work for beginniner players, but you'll get more out of it if you're at an intermediate or advanced stage, IMO. There are some valuable lessons on how to develop finger coordination that are really helpful to newer players... and everyone else. I sit in meetings and do some of them because a few don't even require the use of a guitar.

#4 tsherkin

tsherkin

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

Oh!! Not to go off topic ... but how is Doug Marks' Metal Method? I've been looking at that for awhile and want to do that after I finish LMG. Seems like the most legitimate metal course.

I haven't been able to find many good reviews and wanted to know how it compared to LMG? I know the content is going to be completely different ... but what about the teaching method, the quality of instruction, etc?

Thanks!

It's totally different from LMG. Steve's course is comprehensive and builds up your fundamentals in pretty much every area, while focusing on stuff that can be applied broadly. It has an acoustic bent, too.

Metal Method doesn't bother with full barres, mostly, and emphasizes stuff like string scrapes, pinch harmonics, power chords... mostly the stuff you need to know for metal. He touches on the important stuff as it comes up, but it's really more of a style guide, like a genre primer, than it is a good way to learn how to play the guitar in general.

#5 ahill84

ahill84

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:53 PM

Oh!! Not to go off topic ... but how is Doug Marks' Metal Method? I've been looking at that for awhile and want to do that after I finish LMG. Seems like the most legitimate metal course.

I haven't been able to find many good reviews and wanted to know how it compared to LMG? I know the content is going to be completely different ... but what about the teaching method, the quality of instruction, etc?

Thanks!

#6 tsherkin

tsherkin

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

Hey all,

PREFACE: I am not a spam-bot, you know me... :p Sometimes I read back through my posts in this section of the forum and I totally sound like a spam-bot... Anyway.

As some of you know, I've recently completed LMG (yay!), and that I like to monkey around with other guitar courses as well (Doug Marks' Metal Method, Griff Hamlin's different Blues Courses, Tom Hess, Greg Howe, etc).

So here's the short form:

Well, I'm at it again. I found this guy Jerry Wyatt, he does LearnGuitarFastandEasy.com. I watched a couple of his free videos and he reminded me a lot of Steve: easy-going, super relaxed, really easy to connect with, so I figured I'd give his subscription thing a try, because Steve's course has been and continues to be a huge part of my practice routine and a big part of why I don't stink at guitar anymore.

And I'll post updates as I go forward in the course in case anyone's interested.

Anyway, it's rambling time! I've just started, I did his little "Bridge Course" thing, the 5 lessons that intro you to his method and style.

I'm liking it so far. It's different, but in a good way.

A word of warning: Jerry goes very light on theory. He touches on some stuff as it comes up, pushes other stuff aside until later, etc. In the first 5 videos, you learn a bit about octaves, the pentatonic and blues scales, some chord stuff... but just what's necessary for him to get his point across. Naturally, having taken Steve's course, we all know that this becomes more important as you get more advanced, but this is an interesting approach to developing some feel and some ear training, plus, he shows some practical stuff for playing behind and in front of whatever you're doing so you can move around the fretboard. He does emphasize learning the notes of the fretboard, though. And we'll see how it develops over the rest of his material. I just wanted to get that out there, because there's definitely a style difference. Steve somehow manages to get you learning everything at once without it feeling overwhelming, which was cool, but this has a different focus.

I should also mention that it's got a clear rock/blues focus. He plays with some reverb and some distortion on the opening passages and when he's doing cool examples.

And... that's all I've got for now. We spent some time learning the fretboard, then we learned an A-shape power chord (6th-string A barre chord) and a D-shape power chord (5th-string barre chord, but he also encourages you to drop the G note on the B string until you can handle it). Naturally, there are chord diagrams and stuff, with key notes describing the basic point of the video you're watching.

He takes credit card or PayPal. It's $5 to do the bridge course and get 2 weeks for free, then it's $27/month after that. We'll see if it's worthwhile, but I definitely like his style and approach.

So yeah, that about covers it for now. I'm going to monkey around with the course for a bit and I'll get back to you guys soon.

#7 JeffreyCiccone

JeffreyCiccone

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

I know this is an old post, but I was just wondering if you completed Jerry Wyatt's Full Blown course. If so, what did you think of it? Would you recommend starting it only after completing the full Learn and Master course? Or would it be good to start Full Blown after finishing a specific session of L&MG.

#8 tsherkin

tsherkin

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

I know this is an old post, but I was just wondering if you completed Jerry Wyatt's Full Blown course. If so, what did you think of it? Would you recommend starting it only after completing the full Learn and Master course? Or would it be good to start Full Blown after finishing a specific session of L&MG.

You can jump into Jerry's course mid-LMG if you want. It gets you going pretty early on, you don't really need to know a lot in order to benefit from it. I'd say by the time you're done like maybe Session 4 or 5, it'd be a good addition.

#9 JeffreyCiccone

JeffreyCiccone

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

You can jump into Jerry's course mid-LMG if you want. It gets you going pretty early on, you don't really need to know a lot in order to benefit from it. I'd say by the time you're done like maybe Session 4 or 5, it'd be a good addition.

Thanks for the reply. I'm only a week into Session 4 (and will likely be here for a while). I think I will follow your advice and start Jerry's course after completing Session 5. Thanks again.

#10 JleoLegacy

JleoLegacy

_=||| SGT UBER NEWB |||=_

• Members
  • 2,671 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Latest lesson from Jerry came out. He continues to build upon what he's already shown, which are some cool basic ideas and licks/riffs.

He's funny whenever he gets into one of his rants about not playing scales up and down in an actual song.

So I'm at the fourth lesson now, and the stuff we're playing is actually sounding really cool. I don't know what else to say, but so far, it's panning out. The concepts are really neat, his style is cool and he's funny.

As some of you know, I've recently completed LMG (yay!)

So here's the short form:

Well, I'm at it again. I found this guy Jerry Wyatt, he does LearnGuitarFastandEasy.com. I watched a couple of his free videos and he reminded me a lot of Steve: easy-going, super relaxed, really easy to connect with, so I figured I'd give his subscription thing a try, because Steve's course has been and continues to be a huge part of my practice routine and a big part of why I don't stink at guitar anymore.

And I'll post updates as I go forward in the course in case anyone's interested.

Anyway, it's rambling time! I've just started, I did his little "Bridge Course" thing, the 5 lessons that intro you to his method and style.

I'm liking it so far. It's different, but in a good way.

He takes credit card or PayPal. It's $5 to do the bridge course and get 2 weeks for free, then it's $27/month after that. We'll see if it's worthwhile, but I definitely like his style and approach.

So yeah, that about covers it for now. I'm going to monkey around with the course for a bit and I'll get back to you guys soon.

I visited your mans site and have to say what a shambles all I needed to know was what does he teach like a breakdown it would be very useful and seeing as you have finished L&MG in a record time too congrats :) that should leave you in the ball park of a well rounded intermediate guitar player did you find a toc i.e. a table of contents, I couldn't glean that from any of the links in his home page does he only let you know what's on offer after the $5 subscription fee for the bridge course? (I am a tight wad and appreciate transparency in terms) Since you have done the bridge and subscribed to his main course could you post a content description here would be great accessible info for others who have finished L&MG and need something on a much higher rung. Legacy's content description ticks all the boxes. So something like this would be great :)

Posted Image

#11 JeffreyCiccone

JeffreyCiccone

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

I don't think anyone was suggesting Jerry Wyatt's course should be a substitute for LMG (I'm a big fan of the first 4 sessions and have no intention of stopping). But, like Steve said in the video, it's nice to also have other resources to learn from. I've watched Jerry Wyatt's free videos and I like his laid-back style. If it's not your thing, then I'm sure you'll find something else that is helpful.

Also, you don't have to pay anything to see if you like it. He offers a free series called the "Bridge Course." It comes to you in e-mails every few days. I just signed up for it on his site (www.learnguitarfastandeasy.com). It's didn't cost me anything. And, I've learned a few cool things. Like I said, I kind of dig it as a supplement to LMG. However, as someone who is only a week into Session 4, it's a little over my head right now (hence my original question to tsherkin).

#12 JleoLegacy

JleoLegacy

_=||| SGT UBER NEWB |||=_

• Members
  • 2,671 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

As some of you know, I've recently completed LMG (yay!)
Well, I'm at it again. I found this guy Jerry Wyatt, he does LearnGuitarFastandEasy.com. I watched a couple of his free videos and he reminded me a lot of Steve: easy-going, super relaxed, really easy to connect with, so I figured I'd give his subscription thing a try, because

Steve's course has been and continues to be a huge part of my practice routine and a big part of why I don't stink at guitar anymore.

A word of warning: Jerry goes very light on theory.

I don't think anyone was suggesting Jerry Wyatt's course should be a substitute for LMG (I'm a big fan of the first 4 sessions and have no intention of stopping). But, like Steve said in the video, it's nice to also have other resources to learn from. I've watched Jerry Wyatt's free videos and I like his laid-back style. If it's not your thing, then I'm sure you'll find something else that is helpful.

Also, you don't have to pay anything to see if you like it. He offers a free series called the "Bridge Course." It comes to you in e-mails every few days. I just signed up for it on his site (www.learnguitarfastandeasy.com). It's didn't cost me anything. And, I've learned a few cool things. Like I said, I kind of dig it as a supplement to LMG. However, as someone who is only a week into Session 4, it's a little over my head right now (hence my original question to tsherkin).

I didn't think anyone was implying it was a replacement for anything :puzzledwarrior: Tsherkin has completed the Learn & Master Course and should be well rounded intermediate player so I am asking for a toc or at least a breakdown seeing as it's not available on the site. It would help myself and others reading this thread to know how "Jerry Wyatt's course" would benefit them.

_john

#13 JeffreyCiccone

JeffreyCiccone

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Oh, sorry, guess I misunderstood. I thought you were warning me against the site because it wasn't as thorough or as comprehensive as LMG. That's why I wanted to make clear that I was considering it only as a supplement. Anyway, if you do check out the free stuff, please let me know what you think. It looks interesting to me, but I'd love to get an opinion from someone further along in the LMG journey.

#14 tsherkin

tsherkin

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

Don't really have time to get into things in-depth right now, but...

Course & Modules

-The Bridge

Complete The Bridge
before moving to
any other lessons. It
lays the foundation and terminology!

The Simple 7 & 12
Understanding Power Chords
In 7 Mins or Less!
The Triple Factor Part 1
The Triple Factor Part 2
Look Mom… No Guitar!
Front Stage-Part 1
Front Stage-Part 2
The 123-234 Twist
The Cowboy Blues I
Soloing 101
Coordination Mode 1
1234 Variations
Full Blown:
Lesson 1

Cowboy Blues II
Lesson 2:
Cowboy Blues III
A Little In The Middle
Lesson 3:
Cowboy Blues IV
Taking It To The Top
Lesson 4:
Trip-O-Let!
Lesson 5:
Going Country
Not (Really)
Lesson 6:
The (D) Power Chord
Extensions
• Module Overview
-The Stages
• Module Overview
-The Shapes
• Module Overview
-The Root Monkey

I can't stress enough that this isn't anything like LMG; it's not a comprehensive system, it doesn't teach theory, it doesn't teach fundamentals in the same way. It teaches you how to play some cool-sounding blues and country-ish stuff and how to move around the fretboard with a reasonable amount of freedom within that given style. It's basic, it's all relatively quick to learn. You can kind of see what he's up to from the titles of the different lessons, right? Moving up to the 12th fret to get new usage out of all your usual licks, contrasting them against the sound of the lower octave, basic chords, etc, etc.

It's a way to get yourself jamming and sounding solid in a few hours, provided you can manage the technical components (which are not significant), so you can have fun and play guitar pretty fast. Like I said previously, it's a good supplement. If I have time tomorrow, or maybe Wednesday, I'll get into the lessons themselves a little more deeply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users