• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cowanrayl

cowanrayl

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationWestern, PA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

Be sure you are keeping the wrist of your fretting hand down below the bottom of the neck.
When I started this course, I had a tendency to wrap my thumb up over the top of the neck. This pulled my wrist up behind the neck, which pulled my fretting fingers down into the strings below them.

Most of the time now I keep the wrist below the neck which make it easier to place my fingers straight on the strings. Some times I get sloppy and forget. And it always makes it difficult to make good clear chords.
He is a winner who perseveres.
Finis!

#2 bach

bach

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:54 AM

Practice! Rock on!

#3 Tied

Tied

• Members
  • 6,766 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:36 PM

(snip)
I hope this makes sense!! I just need some tips on how to improve my finger placement. I know practice is one way and I am doing that daily.

Thanks in advance for the help.

All I can say is after 18-months of daily practice, I still pay attention to fingers-on-the-fret positioning during each.Posted Image
For all that is holy, CHANGE YOUR STRINGS!
Posted Image
My gnome doesn't lie. S-12

#4 rszoke

rszoke

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

Everyone has that problem to some level. I bet if you ask Steve, he would admit that occasionally he still misplaces his strings.

#5 onepm1978

onepm1978

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

This seems to happen in the beginning with every new element that is introduced. Just take it slow and keep at it. The further you go along the less steps back you take when introducing new things... Good luck
Working Hard in Buffalo on Session 5 & 6
Not quite done with 4 but enough to concentrate on something else. Octave jump is still hard... :(

#6 MarthaT

MarthaT

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

I had that problem at first, but practice definitely helps
Posted Image

#7 Eddie N

Eddie N

• Members
  • 1,870 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN.

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

JC,

I am on s5 and still have that trouble with some cords. I just watched the s5 video again and SteveK says that this is normal, and time and practice will help resolve it.
Sing to him a new song;

play skillfully, and shout for joy.

Psalm 33:3

#8 guitar.newbie

guitar.newbie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

I know this is probably covered somewhere and that it has happened to others, but I need a little help.

I am just starting lesson 3. My fingers did pretty well playing strings one and two, but adding three and four has made it so that my fretting hand doesn't seem to know where to go. In essence my problem is that when playing any string I am touching the one below. I am curling the tips of my fingers as best I can. I watched Steve's fingers and he seems to be striking the strings with his finger tips more straight than bent downward.

I hope this makes sense!! I just need some tips on how to improve my finger placement. I know practice is one way and I am doing that daily.

Thanks in advance for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users